Barbara wrote:
Now for a downunder observation, which will probably ruffle feathers - I
have read some of the responses to the ways that the principal might
reward
a class for their efforts, because the 'dunk tank' was no longer
available,
and I wonder why does the cost of the reward have to be at the expense
of
the principal's pride?  How does eating fried worms or donning a chicken
suit for a day enhance reading, respect or responsibility?.

My reply:
  I was glad to see this statement.  I have never understood what
kissing a pig, sitting on roof, shaving head or other absurb events had
to do with reading.  Consequently I have never even suggested such and
event.  It has always seemed to me that the "prize" should somehow
relate to reading.......Additionally I have wondered if these programs
really hurt reading because subconsciously "there must be something
wrong with this activity if we are being bribed excessively to do it."
We have participated in reading programs.  Rewards were sometimes set by
the commercial organization sponsering the program.  For our statewide
reading (Bluebonnet List) I have rewarded the children who participate
with a blueberry muffin breakfast as well as a free book from our book
fair.  For Reading Counts program, the only "reward" is a star in the
hallway marking progress and child's name read at morning announcements.
--
Mary Croix Ludwick   ludwick@swbell.net (home)
ludwickm@lisd.net(school)