Several of you asked that I post a hit on dividing a collection.

I have worked in a school where a split took place.   A few thoughts that
may or may not help the librarian facing this.

1.  School administrators need to realize that because there is a big
overlap in what these grade levels read and need, many materials will have
to be duplicated.  There need to be 5th grade level books for the advanced
3rd graders and some 3rd grade level books in the upper level school for the
slower readers.  This is a cost most do not think of.

2.  The actual time invloved in splitting the collection will be
significant, and must be planned for.  Perhaps the librarians will be paid
to work one month during the summer before the new school opens?

Good luck!

Mary Flanagan
Chandler Elementary School
Duxbury, MA 02332

...can you keep the collection together in your OPAC and just separate them
physically?  You would of course have to be able to tell which library they
were in when viewing the book on the OPAC but it would encourage sharing the
books between the library like an inter-libray loan.  Are the libraries
going to be close?  Just a thought.

Aaron Noll
F. C. Reed Middle School
Librarian (Tech Guy in a Crunch)
anoll@remc11.k12.mi.us
Thanks so those of you who replied concerning splitting a collection.  Here
are a few of the responses I received:

I don't have any input but will be doing something similar in another few
months.  We are building a new 5-8 middle school building.  In the process
the 100 year old 7-8 building will be closed, the 5-6 graders moved out of
Roosevelt which is now a 2-6 grade building  and the K-1 students moved
into Roosevelt from another building that is closing.

So basically we will be pulling the 5-6 books out of Roosevelt and moving
those along with the 7-8 books to the new building and then putting the
K-1 books into the Roosevelt building.   Plans are to do the move during
Christmas vacation if the new structure is finished by Dec. 2000.   Just
the thought of it is giving me nightmares.

So please pass along any information you might collect.

Betty Resch, Cherokee, Iowa
2-8 lib. med. spec.
bresch@cherokee.k12.ia.us

Why are you dividing your collection; are they to be housed in separate
facilities?  I inherited a 6-12 library that had a divided collection and
one of the first things I did was put them together.  At the same time I was
weeding the collection to prepare for automation and it didn't make sense to
have 2 collections in one facility.  All the advice that I got from this
listserv with maybe one exception was to put them together.

Diane Culbertson, Information Resources Consultant
Division of Customer Support Services
Kentucky Department of Education
1925 Capital Plaza Tower
500 Mero Street