Thank you for all the great replies.

  Here are some ideas for lunch with Dr. Seuss.

Roast beast....of course

There is the book "Scrambled Eggs Super" that might spur some recipes for
other ordinary foods in a "super" category.  For example:  How about
"Vegetable Medley Super" -- tie this in with Wisner's July 29, 1999 book
where the child grows Super sized vegetables.  What would the Seuss
character do when he found these vegetables.

Also Bartholomew Cubbins lives in a cranberry bog -- perhaps a meal as
Bartholomew might have had -- surely they would include cranberries but what
else would he have had.  This leaves the menu almost wide open with the
sipmle addition of cranberries.  Menu items could be given wonderful names
from Bartholomew's books -- for example -- the King's sandwich, a hatful of
vegetables -- corny but I think it will work.

Why not have the servers wear cat-in-the-hats?

We're having birthday cake for Dr. Seuss

You might want to try:  www.glma-inc.org/drseuss.html

How about "Seuss juice"?  Something served "in a box"?  "Roast Beast"?
Fish from McElligot's Pool?  Red and white parfait, a la the Cat's hat?

"Wocket Pockets" (from There's A Wocket in My Pocket)...aka
breakfast pockets; also have buttered toast (for Butter Battle Book) and the
lunchroom ladies would turn toast upside down or right side up..depending on
the preference of the students.  Also, Mooseburgers (hamburgers) for
Thidwick the Bighearted Moose.  Our lunchroom has also made red sugar
cookies in the shape of a hat and put white strips of icing to make the cat
in the hat hat.
Also they have made red fish-shaped sugar cookies.  Can have Oobleck jello
or Oobleck applesauce (lime flavoured) too.   We are also going to have a
Dr. Seuss b'day cake by placing large
sheet cakes end to end with one red, then white, then red, etc.

We re-write the regular March 2 lunch menu in Seuss-ian rhyme. It's great
fun to hear it read over the morning announcements. Last year's was
something on the order of:
Hamble-bun burgers with cheese if you please
Frenchity fries and greenity peas.
This year, it will be sloppy joe sandwiches, cole slaw and jello with pears.
I've got as far as "Slippy, slappy, sloppy joes" and am working on the rest!
Incidentally, our lunch program director balks at green eggs and ham, but
she is
willing to serve scrambled eggs for breakfast. That menu will be
Not-green scrambled eggs and ham
Fruit and milk for Sam-I-Am.
Not exactly Shakespeare, but the kids like it.

Amazing Barbecued Chicken (Dr. Seuss' ABC) with Truffula
Trees (steamed broccoli) one day. Another day we are having fish sticks (One
fish...) with lime sherbet (Oobleck). One day we're having Scrambled Eggs
Super with buttered bagels (Butter Battle Book).

Hmmm, with my memory of cafeteria food, Thing One and Thing Two would work!
Sneetches Peaches?
Zax Snacks?
Salad-ma-sond?  (check Yertle the Turtle)

Rachel Woodyer
Media Aide Pre-8
Grand Ridge Grade School
Grand Ridge, Il 61325