Hey All--

Bev Nelson just posted that she is looking for a list of books being
considered for the Newbery Awards to be announced Jan. 17. As a member of
this year's committee, I can tell you that we are considering every terrific
American children's book written in 1999 and that I have been reading the
many fine books on our list for the second (or third or fourth) time these
past few weeks to prepare for our deliberations. As to what's on the list,
that's a deep, dark secret forever, as this info is never revealed outside
the committee.

For more than 20 years, I've compiled my personal list of favorites for the
Newbery and Caldecott each year, which I then compare with the winners when
they are announced. This year my own picks for Caldecott include:

I, Crocodile by Fred Marcellino
Shakespeare and the Globe by Aliki
Red-Eyed Tree Frog by Joy Cowley, photos by Nic Bishop
When Agnes Caws by Candace Fleming, illus. by Giselle Potter
Horace, Morris, but Mostly Dolores by James Howe, illus. by Amy Walrod

I've made my picks for Newbery, but though I am allowed to discuss the books
I liked (but never reveal what the committee likes), I think it's best not to
list my faves at this time.

So what are your favorites for the year? (You have a mere 2 weeks to make up
your mind before the official announcements are made on Monday morning, Jan.
17. Both committees, plus the Notables Committee and several others, will be
getting together at ALA Midwinter in San Antonio to meet, discuss, and make
our choices. I can't wait!!!) (And no, Harry Potter is not eligible--he's
English. Sorry.)

Judy Freeman
Children's Literature Consultant
Highland Park, NJ