Fellow Librarians, Teachers and others on this list:
Please send me the titles of your favorite children's books published in 1999.

I'll post a hit before the Caldecott/Newbury announcements on Jan. 17.

LIST AS OF JANUARY 5, 2000
Here's the list so far. It includes non-U.S. authors who would not eligible
for the Newbery and Caldecott medals.

A number after a title indicates that two or more people made the
recommendation.

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BEST FICTION OF 1999

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket
The Birchbark House by Louise Erdrich (2)
Bluish by Virginia Hamilton
Briar's Book by Tamora Pierce
Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
The Cure by Sonia Levitin
Dave at Night by Gail Carson Levine
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (3)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling (2)
Heavenly Village by Cynthia Rylant
The Lost Flower Children by Janet Taylor Lisle
Nowhere to Call Home by Cynthia DeFelice
Our Only May Amelia by Jennifer L. Holm
The Princess Test by Gail Carson Levine
Ramona's World by Beverly Cleary
Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy by Wendelin van Draanen
The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady by Gerald Morris
A Time Apart by Diane Stanley
When Zachary Beaver Came Into Town by Kimberly Holt (2)

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BEST NON-FICTION OF 1999

The Perilous Journey of the Donner Family by Marian Calabro (history)
The Snake Scientist by Sy Montgomery (biography)
Through My Eyes by Ruby Bridges (autobiography)

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BEST PICTURE BOOKS OF 1999

Behold...the Dragons, text and illus. by Gail Gibbons
Black Cat, text and illus. by Christopher Myers
Cook-A-Doodle-Do, Janet Stevens illus. and Susan Stevens Crummel
Horace, Morris, but Mostly Dolores by James Howe, illus. Amy Walrod
I, Crocodile, text and illus. by Fred Marcellino
In the Moonlight Mist: A Korean Tale by Daniel San Souci, illus. Eujin Nielan
Raising Sweetness by Diane Stanley, illus. G. Brian Karas
Red-Eyed Tree Frog by Joy Cowley, photos by Nic Bishop (2)
Shakespeare and the Globe, text and illus. by Aliki
Swine Lake by James Marshall, illus. Maurice Sendak
A Symphony of Whales by Steve Schuch, illus. Peter Sylvada
The Top of the World, text and illus. by Steve Jenkins
Weslandia by Paul Fleischman, illus. Kevin Hawkes (2)
What a Truly Cool World by Julius Lester, illus. Joe Cepeda
What? Cried Granny: An Almost Bedtime Story by Kate Lum, illus. Adrian Johnson
When Agnes Caws by Candace Fleming, illus. Giselle Potter

END OF THE 1999 TITLES

Some of you have sent me titles from 1998.  Since it can take a year or two
for a book to rise to its real level, I think it's worth listing these
titles, too, if they weren't on the list you recommended last January.
(My list of 1998 titles last January can be found in the LM_NET Archives under:
Subject: Newbery/Caldecott 1999, LM_net FINAL TALLY.   Date: 28 Jan 1999)

GOOD FICTION FROM 1998 (not on last year's list)

Faraway Summer by Johanna Hurwitz
Go and Come Back: A Novel by Joan Abelove
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling
The Milly Stories by Janice Lindsay
Whirligig by Paul Fleischman

GOOD NON-FICTION FROM 1998

Classic Poetry: An Illustrated Collection, sel.by Micahel Rosen, illus. P.Howard
The Endurance by Caroline Alexander
Turn of the Century by Ellen Jackson, illus. Jan Ellis
Tutankhamen: the Life and Death of a Pharaoh by David Murdoch

GOOD PICTURE BOOKS FROM 1998

Stickeen: John Muir & the Brave Little Dog, retold by Donnell Rubay,
       illus. C. Canyon
Workshop by Andrew Clements, illus. David Wisniewski

Joan Kimball  jakimball@mindspring.com
Librarian, Storyteller, and Reviewer for Library Talk.
Retired from a K-5 Library: Hart's Hill School, Whitesboro NY
Now living in Ayer Massachusetts.