Our students are currently being bused to a different school while our
real school is cleared of flood damage and asbestos dust. There is no
real steady estimate for a return date, I suppose because no one knows.
At first, in early Nov., we were told 2 weeks. The school itself( the
library there, etc.) is off limits. The new one is a former h.s. and Jr.
High school, in which four kindergartens are being housed in the
library.

I am using a former computer room as library, but it does not have
internet access — that is, one computer does but keeps crashing.  Before
Christmas, I was seeing only kindergarteners, first graders, and some
2nd and third graders, so could easily read stories. Soon I expect
4th-6th grade will be doing various kinds of simple research. I can move
a set of encyclopedias down there and I can set out some nonfiction, but
if somebody has some simple nontechnological notetaking and information
gathering exercises, games really, that would fit into a 30-minute
period, I would be very grateful. I have blackboards and poster boards,
but I don’t think I’ll have access to an overhead here.

 I had the flu over new year’s and I still feel pretty slow.

Our student body has a wide range of literacy, as well as a high
percentage of special education students, diagnosed and non.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Faith Williams, librarian at Malcolm X ES, 1351 Alabama Ave., SE, Wash.
DC 20032
faithw@cais.com, fmwill@aol.com    202-645-3409 or home 202-362-0189