Deanna Obeidalla, a parent at Hickman School in Nashville, TN wrote this
poem for our Y2K Bookfair. I am sharing this with permission, but please do
give her credit whenever you use the poem. Thanks. Diane

MILLENNIUM DREAMS

As I sit, I ponder in the corners of my mind.
The memories of the books I've read, where history unwinds.
A thousand years of stories told of things that were and are to be.
Of future speculations, of the Millennium we are soon to see.
Y2K has brought about fear and joy at the same time.
Yielding many questions, while arousing wild expectations and imaginations
in our mind.
Compare and contrast the times of the past, and how does it affect we.
A thousand years began with the dark ages, then to Renaissance, a time of
gaiety and creativity.
Followed by a world with hard new beginnings, to our past century with an
escalation of space age futuristic configuations.
Now I seek the pages of "Time Machine", H.G. Wells made his true mark on time.
Will we truly be able to travel through that Fourth dimension, or is our
future truly blank and blind.
Or will our days be filled with the days of "1984".
Could George Orwell have known how at the end of this Millennium, there be
some truth, and what more to be behind Y2K's door.
We seek the future, as the past, a mirror to our soul.
The reflections in the books we've read, whether fiction or non is about to
unfold.
Will we forward ahead in the new millennium as an aspiring scientific dream
from the books we've read.
Could this truly be the end, or will we have to start all over again, in
the new millennium.

By Deanna Obeidalla
October 27, 1999