So far, no one has responded with copyright information on CRABs.

Since titles are not copyrighted for books, I hope they are not
copyrighted for library programs, either.

I loved the title Crabs (Children Raving About Books).  I began the
program last week with the following format:

C. R. A .B. S.

Week 1   Introduction
Week 2   Picture Book
Week 3   Series
Week 4   Fantasy
Week 5   Mystery
Week 6   Realistic fiction
Week 7   Historical Fiction
Week 8   Humor
Week 9   Poetry
Week 10   Biography

We will read a book each week from the chosen genre.
Each participant will give a short talk describing the book he or she
read.  We will do a literary activity (hangman, scatergories,
matching game, spin the bottle, relay, etc.) and close with a
popsicle treat.

WEEK ONE
For the introduction, we played a matching game to become familiar
with the genre.  I made cards with the names of the genre.  We laid
the cards face down on the table and the children took turns trying
to match up pairs, like the game lotto or memory (also known as
concentration).

We played Hatschipatschi to get to know eachother's names. I talked
about the different genres and showed examples of each kind
(displayed on the table).  We played pass the parcel with lolliops
and ate a popsicle treat at the end.

Instructions for HATSCHIPATSCHI
Children sit in chairs in a circle.  There is one chair less than the
number of players (like in musical chairs). One child goes out of the
room or hides his or her eyes.  One of the remaining children is
chosen to be hatschipatshci (or "it").  The group calls out
"1,2,3...herein kommen" (in German or 1,2,3...come back in, if you
are not learning German).  The returning child is greeted and he or
she asks each participant "What is your name?"  Each child answers
with his or her name, except the person who is it (hatschipatschi).
The hatschipatschi answers, "Hatschipatschi!"  That is the signal for
everyone to jump up and switch places!  One child will be left
without a chair, and he or she is the nest one to go out.  This game
is one of the games taught at Concordia College FLES (Foreign
Language inthe Elementary School) workshops.

Pass the parcel is a game where a package is passed from one child to
the other whild they sing a song.  When the song is ended, the child
who is holding the parcel unwraps one layer of the package and taked
the candy or (card or trinket).  The package has as many layers as
participants, so that everyone gets a candy.

Week two:
We named our favorite picture books, and our favorite books from any
genre.  Then we played hangman using the the titles and authors we
listed.

I had read the very hungry caterpillar by Eric Carle to the children
participating in my German Club. (Most of the same children also
attend crabs).  In German Club we made a pinata shaped like a coocoon
to represent the very hungry caterpillar's cocoon.  I chose the very
hungry caterpillar for my picture book selection for crabs.  After
playing Hatschipatschi to break the ice and introduce names of new
comers, we broke the pinata.  Then we had a fire drill, so the
latecomers did not get to discuss the books that they read.

We will do so next week.
I welcome suggestions for games to play with the children.

For the mystery genre I will play "murder".  One kid gets a card with
an "M" written on it.  The other cards are blank.  The person with
the M is the murderer.  We will play it like hatschipatschi, except
the murderer will be th esignal to change places.

For the fantasy genre I would like build a time machine from big
boxes with the children.  And play 20 questions using historical
facts.

Filler activity: Twister on the united states map.  (Twister on a
worldmap was demonstrated at Concordia College FLES workshop).
Children must point out on the map or globe which part of the country
(or world) their book takes place in. Then play twister (a 60's game
where you spin and place your left or right foot on a circle on a mat
according to what you spun.  Players get tangled as thy place their
hands and feet on the circles.  For Twister on a map, laminate a
large map. Place it on the floor.  Alter the spinner to point to the
names of the states (or countries), so that one is directed to place
his or her left foot in Pensylvania, for example).

For the spin the bottle

Make a pop up book.

For the Series genre, make a choose your own adventure book and have
a  (non-literary)treasure hunt.

Make a bookmark.

The last week closes with a literary treasure hunt in the library.
Clues for the next book are hidden in a book that has been
discussed.  The children must remember the title prodded by the clue
hints and look up the book (suggested by the hints in the clue) in
the catalog to find out the author.  Children like to do this
activity in pairs. The winning pair is the first one to discover all
of the books and authors first.

Example of a clue: He was very hungry.  He ate and ate and got a
belly ache, (then was transformed!).  Answer: Very Hungry Caterpillar.