Please, please, please.... no one's turning you away or refusing to
answer questions, but think of the possibilities. If all we ever get
are the exact same replies to the exact same questions, then we'll
never expand. However, if you write that you checked the archives
and either ask a followup question to something there *or* explain
that you couldn't find anything for your question, then we'll know
where to start.

There is an amazing amount of knowledge here, but it's nice to
carry that knowledge further. There where quite a few times last
year that people stated a problem, said that they checked the
archives and didn't find an answer that suited, OR, said that all that
they found were questions. This gives a big hint for the regulars to
start wracking their brains and come up with something different. It
also lets the newer members know that their solution just may be
the right one,,, and to post it. Or, it would start a discussion on the
possible reasons why no one had ever posted an answer.

A hint on searching the archives. Don't make your search too
precise in the beginning. Make it broad and see what you get. Then
start narrowing the search.

We have librarians here who are very good at what they do. One of
the things that they do well is teach good research skills to their
students. For some reason, many of them feel that librarians
should give some evidence of research when asking questions on
the list.

Finally, speaking from the other side (that of posting answers), it is
disheartening to go to quite a bit of effort to research and post an
answer only to get a response of  "thanks, but I already read that in
the archives". If I would have known from the initial post that the
archives had been searched, I would have assumed that my
answer should build on what was already there.

Dan Robinson
Indexing Services
H.W. Wilson Company
Bronx, NY