---I only wish that children would be taught that the power to change
their life lies within them.

Delia wrote this and I wanted to address it, but thought it could go to the
whole group.

Dumbledore says just this toward the end of book 4.  He is talking about
"pure bloods" and tells us it's not who you are but who you become.

Other complaints include the stereotyping in the book.  I do think the
characters are growing with each book, but it is a fantasy.  By
stereotyping, the author can get on with the story as we all ready have a
preconceived notion of the character.  She is attacked as her books are the
ones currently being read.  I wish all books could foster this much
argument.

And the last item, religious arguments.  These books were challenged in my
library by our Evangenlical church.  Many of the members are good friends so
I took it in stride.  I asked what the complaint was and they quoted several
articles I had also read.  I asked again for a specific complaint and asked
for the passages in the book.  Of course, they hadn't read them.  One mother
told me her son had done a book report on them.  I again asked what it was
he didn't like.  She quoted the articles.  I again said, "What didn't he
like."  She then told me she would never let her children read those Satan
books.  I looked straight at her, then at the pastor and asked for the name
of her son's teacher as I found it more offense that he lied in the book
report.  They both wondered what I meant.  I told her that she just admitted
that her son hadn't read the Potter books yet he wrote a book report.  That
is lying and cheating and as a Christian I find that more offense then if
someone didn't genuinely like the books. and wrote about that.  The latter I
have no problem with.
The minister ended the meeting saying he would read the book then would like
to have another discussion.  I had told him that I could not, in good faith,
pull a book that is well reviewed, because he didn't like it especially
since he hadn't read it.  Mine was a high school library and kids don't have
to read it, it is a choice.  (I really wanted to tell all of them there that
their sons and daughters are the ones checking it out, since they won't see
it otherwise.)
The minister did read it, still doesn't like it, but agreed that since it is
a choice, he would let his people know they should not choose it.  Wish I
could tell him they are still choosing it as four of the kids spent the last
week at our house listening as we read it aloud.  These are 13- to
15-year-olds!  Yes, their parents knew what we were doing.  I had as much
fun with this story hour as any I've ever done.
Next week, they are coming back for Gary Paulson's Harris and Me.  I never
thought I'd do anything like this but it has been fun.  I'm only sorry that
in two weeks we move.  We choose to read it aloud so we wouldn't have to buy
too many copies and kids wouldn't fight.
It's been fun to see so many political cartoons aimed at the Potter success.
  I wonder how the networks were affected this week.

Best,
Carolyn Roys
Former-J. D. Darnall Senior High School Teacher/Librarian
Geneseo, Il 61254
And looking forward to North High School in St. Charles, IL
crroys@hotmail.com
http://libby.rbls.lib.il.us/ghs/