Group --

I've been following the thread on new librarians and asking/answering
questions.  A couple of observations...

I usually reply directly to the person asking, making the assumption
that s/he will create a HIT at a later time.  I guess I don't want to
take up other people's time reading what could very well be a
redundancy.  I've also asked questions and sought opinions -- and have
been pleased with both the quality and quantity of responses!!

In many ways, many of you have acted as "cooperating librarians" as
I've dived into the wonders of librarianship.  I did have a good
internship with a wonderful librarian, but I was working within her
well-established program.  It's a whole different ball game when you
are establishing yourself in your own library setting.

Although I don't post regularly, or reply to a lot of the questions,
LM_NET has played a powerful role in my development as a librarian.  My
first two years were "unique" in many ways (tongue in cheek on the
"unique") and LM_NET helped keep me focused on the bigger picture,
while also being of enormous help on the details.  I was a "one man
show" my first year, then moved to another school with 2 1/2 library
aides.  In both situations, I gleened valuable advice that made me a
more effective professional.  I've consciously made LM_NET a priority
and maybe, eventually, I'll be better qualified to express opinions!!

Just my $.02 worth.

=====
Cyndi Gates, Librarian                  Owner of Cozie, WCCC
Hutchinson High School                  (World's Cutest Chubby
Hutchinson, KS                                  Chihuahua)
cgates@southwind.net
library_cyndi@yahoo.com

"Havin' more fun than the average bear ..."