Hi Everyone,
Well for some of us, there is one more sleep to go but for others there will be no
sleep as they
were in the right place at the right time and were able to buy a copy when a local
bookseller broke
the embargo!  Could be many torches smuggled under doonas in kids' bedrooms tonight!

There is a national current affairs show on a television network here and there was
a report on the
response to the book in the UK and it is also the topic of their discussion board
for tonight.

I have tuned into this and it is interesting to see that so many of the posts
(about 107 in less
than 45 minutes) have come from boys who say they did not read before.  There are
messages from
older kids to younger kids encouraging them not to stop reading while they wait for
the next
adventure; ideas about how teachers are using it in schools; contributions from
kids as young as 8
to a 40-something fanatic .

 It is really interesting to hear what the kids themselves think and the reasons
they are giving for
loving the series and it seems that it is the element of magic (particularly being
able to fly) that
is the drawcard.  I think they are quite clear about what is fact and what is
fantasy and that those
who feel there is 'devil's work afoot' can rest easy.

And now I am off to bed so I can be at my booksellers early and then see if I can
stay awake all
night reading. What a great way to spend the last day of my holiday!

Cheers
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian