Greetings- I just read the hit on required Summer reading lists and ....
This year, after deliberating about it for a long time - mostly thinking
it would be very hard and time consuming and and pain but something I
really wanted to do - I made "Egremont School Library Recommended Summer
Reading"  This was MY personal list to my students about what books I
wish on them.  I looked at the Mass choice books that I love, other
classics, reading levels, short and long titles, and gave a variety that
I'm really happy with. I was sorry to hear that some people anguish over
their lists. Why the anguish?  These titles popped out at me everywhere
and the list was done in 30 minutes.  I typed them up and decorated them
with all my kidstamps and subheaded them "If you're entering 3rd
grade..." (or 4th or 5th)  I gave a little intro about the list and a
shpeil about reading for enjoyment - not for torture! Don't force the
list - use it as a tool ( and in that vein I put genres after each title
to help in selection.) Oh... only my 3rd grade list named any series
titles because 2nd and 3rd grade are the years of the series. Then I
work hard at moving kids on to meatier fiction. I ENJOYED making the
lists and many kids and parents thanked me. Don't anguish! Enjoy!
Patty Melville MLS
Egremont Elementary School Pittsfield MA
tunas3@bcn.net