Okay. I just read Jim Trelease's article, and the few posts on LM_NET so
far.
In my HUMBLE opinion, I understand Mr. Trelease's view. He sees no
difference between book stores and libraries.
Bookstores increased their sales by making their stores customer-friendly.
They allow comfortable seating, slouching, eating, and drinking - all things
people enjoy while they read.
Libraries should be after the same thing, although measured by circulation
numbers instead of sales figures.

My local public library encourages silence. The chairs are two types - hard
wooden desk chairs, or forty year old pleather with worn foam cushions. One
clerk told me I could not borrow any books because I owed $1.35 in overdue
fines and had no cash on me. Even when I explained who I was, and that I
would bring the money later in the day, she insisted on keeping the books.
For $1.35???   When we showed up for our first summer story hour we were
told the program guide for story hour had incorrect dates in it and there
wasn't any program. (Couldn't they quickly throw something together?
Children were waiting to hear stories!!!)
Food and drink? No way.
Open Sunday? No way.
Customer Friendly??? No Way!
Do I feel good about my tax money being spent on this facility? No Way!

Now let's talk about my school. Last year we needed new reading books. There
went my budget. Can't do a Birthday Book Club - those kids who can't
participate will have hurt feelings (I think they would enjoy new books, no
matter if Johnny's mother bought it.....)

Kids do eat lunch in the library sometimes. Most are bused, so I have no
reason to stay open late. We do fun things like Read Across America, and
book fairs, and Book Swapping and a Hall of Fame. I don 't charge fines. I
have a soft couch and windows with a view and interesting displays - and I
am very much in love with my job, and I believe that enthusiasm for books
and reading is very important to the kids.
Customer Friendly? I think so - - - -but there is only so much I can do with
Public funds.

I believe Mr. Trelease was trying to say libraries need to do whatever they
can to attract customers. Jeff said,
"Mere numbers do not represent a legitimate reflection of the success of a
library's mission."

  But if you can't get people to come in the door, you are fighting a losing
battle.

Stepping off my soapbox, and ducking those flame-throwers.......

Karen DeFrank, LMS
Dorothy Bullock Elementary School
Glassboro, NJ, US
defrank@voicenet.com