On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Jeff Kirkpatrick wrote:

>         Revealed as part of "A sneak preview of the next edition of THE
> READ-ALOUD HANDBOOK in 2001," the title of the above referenced article, by
> none other than Jim Trelease, is,  "Reflections on the 'new' bookstores".
> Advocating seeming progressive revamping of libraries, Trelease, with his
> run away rhetoric, would have us and our public believe it should be the
> mission of libraries and educators to literally provide coffee houses to
> bring warm bodies into our libraries and media centers,

I think his message said this:

1.  Libraries should be user friendly
2.  Libraries should be a place where people want to go, not just a place
        where people *have* to go on occasion
3.  Businesses, schools, others who do not make some adjustments to
        changing demands are less apt to flourish or to receive
        continued or adequate support

And I can't achieve the mission of my library if I have no patrons.

 completely missing
> the point that mere numbers do not represent a legitimate reflection of the
> success of a library's mission.  Else, why stop with coffee and couches?
> Let's bring on the arcades, the dancing girls, the booze.  And get those
> f@*&ing annoying shelves of books out of the way!

I think you are going a little overboard there, don't you? But I'll let
you in on a little secret. Some principals are already willing to get rid
of the  ____ annoying shelves of books because they don't see enough
happening with them to value them.

When I walked into my h.s. position, a h.s. that served 750
students, the average yearly check-out was 46 books. No, that's not
a typo. It was 46 books. No one wanted to go to the library. It was
drab and dreary. I shudder even thinking about it. The books were
drab and dreary too. There was virtually nothing there to appeal
to young adults. Now and then one of the football players or
basketball players would come in to check out sports reports.
"Look! My name's in the paper!" Otherwise, even the teachers
wouldn't use the library.

      Trelease's presentation (and please make the time to read it for
> yourselves) is grossly irresponsible and embarrassingly naive.  It needs to
> be responsibly acknowledged as such before significant damage results
> through further senseless bashing of stalwart, intrepid, informed library
> professionals, who happen, simply, to be doing their jobs.

And I believe I was doing my job, and doing it well mind you, to turn
that library around. First came the re-design. No, I didn't want a
traditional rectangle with a workroom. I wanted a library that provided
space for 1) noisy instruction, 2) quiet study, 3) busy research (comings
and goings) and 4) space that called out to young people ... "This is
a good place to be."

For the first and probably the last time in my life, I got exactly
what I wanted. And it worked. I had clean, well lighted spaces
that displayed books of actual interest to the students. I had
windows that were visible along different grade level corridors.
I put displays there too. We brought in the coffee cart and
sometimes refreshments (always for Dr. Seuss' and William
Shakespeare's birthdays). I always had a display in the main
case by the office. And I usually had notices/posters/invites
of one kind or another posted here and there around the
school.

It brought more than just warm bodies to the library. It
brought readers. Sure, some came to buy a latte or to enjoy
a free cookie then left, but many stayed or returned --> kid who wouldn't
have otherwise come... I wish I had a dime for every time
I heard a student say that year, "I didn't know you have
good books in here, Ms. R!"

To make a long story short, check-out skyrocketed and the library
was always full. And if you looked around the room you would see
that everyone was reading or otherwise engaged in meaningful work.
The library had become *the* place to be.

I also had teachers' attention. And with the teachers' attention
came increased opportunities for collaboration and instruction.

Meanwhile, I watched as other school librarian positions around
me were eliminated. "Dinosaurs" is the label one of the bigwhigs
used in his description of many of the librarians. "IF they don't
make some changes and stop whining about how things should stay
the way they've been for the last 50 years, they'll be history."
And he was right. Before the next year was over two schools in our
district decided no librarian was better than the librarian they
had. They eliminated the position in their buildings. By the
next year, we were down to 3 (out of 18 total). Today there
is one with the possibility of hiring one more person to help
her as she's doing all 18 libraries.

Resting on the laurels of tradition and assuming everyone knows
or thinks what we do is vitally important is both naive and risky.
The Swiss watchmakers learned this the hard way. And so have
many librarians.

I fail to see, I guess, how marketing the library and library
services played a negative role or interfered with achieving
the mission, goals and objectives I had for my library, the
program and the patrons. My experience was *extremely* successful,
and I'd do it all again. It resulted in more students reading,
greater awareness and use of library materials, and increased
instructional (learning) opportunities for the students.

And that's called doing my job.

 My rebuttal to
> Trelease will be forthcoming.  I ask those who concur to please join the
> fray.
>         Thanks, Claudio, for the heads up.
>         Take care.
>
> JEK
>
> *****
>         Failing to set reasoned limits means we leave ourselves pushing out
> our four walls, only to have the roof collapse on top of us.
>
>         Those who try to sell themselves and others on the idea that we may have
> education without professionally managed and maintained library media
> programs compare with those who mow their weeds and call the results a
> manicured lawn.
>         Let THEM roll in it a while, before relegating the kids to it.
>         Who knows--maybe thistle teach 'em?
>

> Jeffrey E. Kirkpatrick
> Advocate for libraries and education reform, in Aurora, CO
> e-mail address: jeffkirk@concentric.net
> (previously jeffkirk@sni.net --through 5/22/99)
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
> All postings to LM_NET are protected under copyright law.
> To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), send email to:
> listserv@listserv.syr.edu   In the message write EITHER:
> 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL or 3) SET LM_NET DIGEST
> 4) SET LM_NET MAIL  * Please allow for confirmation from Listserv.
> For LM_NET Help see: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/
> Archives: http://askeric.org/Virtual/Listserv_Archives/LM_NET.html

   Not all who wander are lost...

   J. Rathbun, Librarian
   Lincoln Elementary School - Las Vegas, Nevada
   jrathbun@orednet.org [home]