I work in a small Catholic school.  It is consolidated and has three
buildings.  Two are K-4 and one is 5-8.  I work in one of the K-4 buildings
two days a week and at the 5-8 building two days a week.  I, therefore,
have contact with most of the staff and we are all concerned.  We are being
asked to sign "Work Agreements" rather than contracts.  Essentially, just a
name change.  We are being told that this is an Archdiocesan policy and is
the wave of the future.  Is this true?  Also, our work agreements do not
list what our duties will be the following year, just that we will do
whatever the principal asks of us.  We are all nervous about such an
agreement.  Have any of you been faced with a similar situation?  Is this
common or is our principal trying to pull the wool over our eyes one more
time?  I am trying to change my duties for the next year that would enable
me to no longer travel between the two buildings.  I wrote a proposal to
the principal stating that I would do library and computers at the 5-8
building, (I currently do library and computers at K-4 and just library and
study halls at 5-8).  The person hired to do computers for this year had no
knowledge of them and has been rehired to teach, but not computers.  My
proposal suggested that if I did computer classes for 5-8, someone else
would be hired to do the job at the K-4 building.  The principal replied to
my e-mail regarding the change that he would give me the computer classes
for 5-8, but did not mention what my other duties would entail.  He called
me into his office and said that I should not be concerned about what my
duties would be.  Quite politely told me that it was none of my business at
this time and I should just go back and "be a happy employee."  Now I am
really nervous.  Any suggestions?

Sharon Johnson
John Ireland School
Hopkins, MN