Joni, yes, not only can you get notification of when email has been
delivered and / or read, the details are contained in the Internet
specs for email. It doesn't work with all programs or systems since
they all do things somewhat differently. My program, Pegasus, has
two options that I can check: "Confirm reading" and "Confirm
delivery". I usually have "Confirm reading" checked, so email that I
send will send a confirmation automatically when it is opened. (I
don't really know if you've read it at that point or not <grin>).  There
is quite a bit of information passed back and forth over the Internet
that a user has either no or minimal control over.

One thing to note, I don't get confirmations on email sent through
most lists, including LM_NET, since modern listserver software
strips the confirmation return from the email. Pegasus puts the
Header line: "X-Confirm-Reading-To:....." in the mail to make the
confirmation email. It does not appear in my list messages and I
never change the setting. I use the confirmations for work where it
is important to know if messages have been read.

You can confirm if confirmations are being sent when you open
email if you have control over the send queue for your email
program. If you do, set it so it does not send mail immediately, but
places it in a queue. Then look at the mail that collects in the
queue as you open your email.  But, delivery receipts are usually
sent automatically when your mail gets to the email server.

Dan Robinson
Indexing Services
H.W. Wilson Company
Bronx, NY