The last few weeks there have been many messages posted about end of year
"fun"; where this begins; the role of parents and the school and the
enforcement of rules.

I was just reading some articles in newspapers and magazines which I feel
goes along with this thread.  The first article was by a columnist who was
discussing the laxness in dress today both in the workplace and in
restaurants and at other events.  First we had casual Fridays now it seems
that more and more businesses are no longer requiring jackets and ties for
men and skirts, dresses and/or suits for women.  Even banks and other
"traditional" businesses are allowing polo shirts, khaki pants, slacks,
sweaters, etc.  The only restriction is no jeans, shorts, sneakers or deck
shoes.

The magazine article I was reading was discussing the way businesses are
recruiting employeees; the article focused on the technical and software
companies who are trying to attract young people to their companies.
Besides salray incentives, benefits and stock options these companies are
offfering more.  "But what really wins people over is the environment.  The
office at (name ommitted) is all about fun and flexibility.  With an average
employee age of 30, the button-down atmosphere simply wouldn't fly."

"It's a work hard, play hard environment," says one company's chief
financial officer.  He says about his company: " It's a veritable
tekkie-playground, with bi-weekly pinball, Foosball and dart tournaments,
Internet grocery delivery and a stockpile of treats from fruit to
Frappuccino.  There are toys like Nerf launch rockets, remote-control cars,
beach balls and we're heavily into Austin Powers.  The dress code is casual
and the work hours are flexible."

The article says there are companies who offer "nap rooms"; pet insurance
and on-site massage to attract candidates.

Maybe I am showing my age but this really disturbed me.  I remember in high
school and college being taught by my parents and teachers that when you get
out in the "real world" things are different.  There is a work ethic; you
dress appropriately, act appropriately and you are there to work not to
play.  I recall telling my students the same thing; employers will not take
over sleeping an excuse for coming in late; you can't "forget" to do a task
like you forget to do your homework; you are not given extra time to
complete an assignment.

In my last few years in a school district I recall being amazed at the young
people coming out of college to their first teaching job and having no work
ethic.  They come to work dressed inappropriately as if they were going to a
party or a picnic; they  "hang out" in the faculty room during their prep
periods rather than work with students or prepare lessons.

Students feel school is a place to have fun now it seems that this new
generation has the same philosophy about the workplace.

Just my thoughts.

Diane Pozar
Retired LMS
Monroeville, Pa.
We read to know we are not alone.  C.S. Lewis