Hi LM_NETters:

I am writing to thank everyone for whatever support you might have given
to the Day of Honor 2000 Project that I have been involved with these
past 6 months. I wrote earlier that the US Senate had passed the
resolution on May 18th. The House did likewise on Tuesday, May 23rd. It
was perfect timing for the National Day of Honor 2000 in Washington D.C.
on Thursday, May 25th. Then on Friday, May 26th, President Clinton
invited Senator Edward Kennedy (MA- sponsor of Senate resolution SJRes
44), Representative Sheila Jackson-Lee (TX - sponsor of House resolution
HJRes 98), various minority WWII veterans, and Wililam Smith (Project
Executive for Day of Honor) to the White House to witness the signing of
the Presidential Proclamation!  You can see photographs of this event
at:

http://www.dayofhonor2000.org/images/photoWH/index.htm

I am so very pleased that the resolutions' passage was done in such a
short period of time and I credit this being done through a grass roots
effort. If you took the time to write to your congressperson, please pat
yourself on the back. It is real proof that we are a democratic nation
where just one person CAN make a difference! I hope you all enjoyed
watching the resolution make its way through the Congress and found all
the websites I posted of use to you.

http://www.dayofhonor2000.org/Education.html

If you are just finding out about this project now....there is still
time to get involved. The year 2000, the last year of the 20th century,
is the year dedicated to having Days of Honor throughout the USA to
honor minority veterans who fought and died in WWII with little or no
recognition. You are welcome to visit the Day of Honor 2000 site:

http://www.dayofhonor2000.org/index.html

and learn how you can become involved in having such an event in your
own community...or get involved in one in a nearby community.

From personal experience, I can tell you how totally thrilling it is to
meet some of these brave survivors and hear their heroic stories. Also,
if you have had any sort of event in your community and have recorded
any oral histories from minority WWII vets, please contact me or the Day
of Honor 2000 project <pevueinc@aol.com>. Bill Smith is still amassing
information on minority vets throughout the year.

--
Jody Newman