Hello group!
    I have a quick question (for LMS's at AR Model Schools or anyone that
might be able to help!) and I'm needing your assistance ASAP. Our school has
just received some monies that we need to spend RIGHT AWAY on Accelerated
Reading level 1.0-1.9 books (we're working with a deadline). School is out,
but our job isn't (as usual, right?). I'm the LMS at a K-6 school of around
650 kids. We have an excellent collection of AR books in our library media
center, but we are VERY low in the 1.0-1.9 level. We are trying to become a
model AR school and one of the only things we are lacking is our low amount
of 1.0-1.9 books. I've been purchasing all of my AR books through one company
(Permabound), but basically, I've bought every set (and some 2 or 3 times)
that they have any of the 1.0-1.9 level. So many other companies (as well as
Permabound) have mixed up sets that contain a mixture of reading levels. You
can easily purchase a set of 50 books and only have 8 books in the whole set
that are in the 1.0-1.9 reading level. To become a model AR school you have
to have ten 1.0-1.9 level AR books/every K & 1st grade student. How?? Our
projected enrollment for K & 1st next school year is about 210 students.
That's 2,100 1.0-1.9 level books. We only have about 550 1.0-1.9 level books,
and that's purchasing 3, 4 and 5 copies of every 1.0-1.9 title available
(through Permabound). I guess my question is (to make a long story longer..),
do any of you know of a company that sells large amounts of 1.0-1.9 books
(AND does cataloguing, barcoding, etc.)? We have noticed the Rigby series has
a number of books on this level, but I don't believe this company does
cataloguing, barcoding, etc. I would have to do all of that myself and I
don't have the time for such a large volume of books. This may be a stupid
question (but, hey, I'll go ahead and ask it), could I purchase the Rigby
books (or AR books from another company that doesn't do the cataloguing,
etc.) and then send the titles to another company to do the cataloguing,
barcoding, etc.? If so, what companies do this? Can I just send a list of the
titles, or would I need to give the company other information on each book?
Also, to those that are at a Model AR school, how did you purchase the
numbers you needed on these levels? We are only looking at around $5,000, so
I know that won't go very far, but I want to get as many books as I can on
these needed levels. Thanks for any help any of you can provide!!
Naomi Lay, LMS
St. Elmo Elementary / Mobile, AL
Rhuddland@aol.com