------=_NextPart_000_00BD_01BFCF4D.F6127760

This is just a sampling of the responses I received.  This list is =
wonderful!

1) Browsing hardcopy magazines enables you to discover something =
likeable or=20
useful that you hadn't thought to look for, known as both
a. serendipity/incidental learning
b. recreational reading

2) Magazines can be conveniently carried around and read just about =
anywhere=20
were there's light: the quietist corner of the library when others are=20
noisy, classroom, home, office, car, park bench, etc. (They weigh much =
less=20
and take up much less space than computers/laptops/palms, which not =
everyone=20
owns, anyway. Sunlight is free; batteries & elec. wiring aren't.)

3) Computers go down sometimes.

4) (Maybe) not all the magazines you subscribe to are on your =
computerized=20
periodicals database/index, or are not full text, they or are entered =
later=20
than the hardcopy arrives in the mail.

5) No ads online

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In my library, on-line databases are for research of "serious" =
periodicals.=20
Magazines are for fun reading and special interest.

Tell your principal that I take magazines like Seventeen, YM, Car and=20
Driver, etc, to promote the love of reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A student can sit comfortably in a chair to read a magazine.

While some are on the internet, others can be looking up information in
magazines.

Magazines can be checked out (in some instances) overnight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why do you need administrators if there's filtering/security software =
on
the computers?" :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  1.. Not everything is on the net.
  2. Not everything that is on the net is true.
  3. Not everything that is true on the net is useful for lower level =
readers.
  4. "If we cut out the magazines, does that mean that we will have =
internet
  computers for every student?"
  5. Magazines (and other print materials) can still be used when the =
power
  (or phone line) goes out.
supplies.

Number Three, it is just a plain delight to sight, touch, and smell to =
read
a magazine. No child should grow up with out this experience.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not all magazines are available on the 'net. InfoTrac, E-library, etc, =
for
the most part (like 99%) don't have the illustrations, graphs, charts, =
etc.
Then, to encourage reading, we subscribe to general interest magazines. =
Back
issues are really popular and those are almost always _not_ free on the =
web.
Another argument for 'hardcopy' is that not all kids have home access to =
the
'net. How're they going to 'check out' the 'net for homework, =
recreational
reading, etc.? We have shrunk our collection considerably since the =
advent
of InfoTrac, e-library, 'net access, etc. We used savings in mag
subscriptions to pay for those 'net sources!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reading articles in magazines is easier on their eyes.
They are portable.
They have cool advertising.
Kids like them.
They are cheap and disposable.
You can take them to the bathroom.
They can be cut up for pictures and are far cheaper than color copies =
off
the net.
The information is easier to find.
Kids can use them when the net is down.
Twenty kids can use twenty magazines, The only number of articles surfed =
on
the web is directly proportional to the number of terminals.
Give me time I'll come up with 10 more reasons.
Easier to preview.
You know the source of the information.
Students not distracted by a Pokemon site

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And for those times the Internet is down....
and for the joy of picking up and browsing....
and when computers are busy....
and where there are no computers....
and quality of pictures...
and the love of READING!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) Internet connection is down.
2) Pictures, graphs, and other illustrations are not included in online =
magazines.
3) Not enough computers to go around for a class of kids.
4) Printing off tons of magazines articles is as expensive as ordering =
some to look at in the first place.
5) More comfortable to read while slouched in a chair instead of looking =
at a computer screen.
6) Kids don't have great search strategies yet and get garbage off the =
internet instead of researched materials in magazines.
6) Kids need stuff to carry around and read for fun, which computers =
don't provide.

These have been some of my justifications for continuing both hard =
copies of magazines and hard copies of Reader's Guide!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Not all magazines are on the web. And not all articles in all =
magazine=20
are on the web. And few ads are on the web versions. There are things =
that=20
are omitted.
2. What do you do when your connection is down?
3. Do you want to waste all that colored ink?
4. How does anyone borrow a magazine from the web?
5. Not all full-text indexes show graphics.
6. Some people are more comfortable with the hard copy.
7. Hard copy is easier to read on the train, commuter bus, etc. Is he=20
willing to give the kids wireless laptops?
8. On-line magazines use one workstation per reader, keeping others from =

using that workstation for other purposes.

I have been through this at the=20
middle school through graduate school level. You do need print

------=_NextPart_000_00BD_01BFCF4D.F6127760

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><STRONG>This is just a sampling of the responses =
I=20
received.&nbsp; This list is wonderful!</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>
<P>1) Browsing hardcopy magazines enables you to discover something =
likeable or=20
<BR>useful that you hadn't thought to look for, known as both<BR>a.=20
serendipity/incidental learning<BR>b. recreational reading<BR><BR>2) =
Magazines=20
can be conveniently carried around and read just about anywhere <BR>were =
there's=20
light: the quietist corner of the library when others are <BR>noisy, =
classroom,=20
home, office, car, park bench, etc. (They weigh much less <BR>and take =
up much=20
less space than computers/laptops/palms, which not everyone <BR>owns, =
anyway.=20
Sunlight is free; batteries &amp; elec. wiring aren't.)<BR><BR>3) =
Computers go=20
down sometimes.<BR><BR>4) (Maybe) not all the magazines you subscribe to =
are on=20
your computerized <BR>periodicals database/index, or are not full text, =
they or=20
are entered later <BR>than the hardcopy arrives in the mail.<BR><BR>5) =
No ads=20
online</P>
<P>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</P>
<P>In my library, on-line databases are for research of "serious" =
periodicals.=20
<BR>Magazines are for fun reading and special interest.<BR><BR>Tell your =

principal that I take magazines like Seventeen, YM, Car and <BR>Driver, =
etc, to=20
promote the love of reading.</P>
<P>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</P>
<P>A student can sit comfortably in a chair to read a =
magazine.<BR><BR>While=20
some are on the internet, others can be looking up information=20
in<BR>magazines.</P>
<P>Magazines can be checked out (in some instances) overnight.<BR><FONT=20
size=3D2>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</FONT></P>
<P>"Why do you need administrators if there's filtering/security =
software=20
on<BR>the computers?" :)</P>
<P><FONT size=3D2>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</FONT></P>
<OL>
  <LI>Not everything is on the net.<BR>2. Not everything that is on the =
net is=20
  true.<BR>3. Not everything that is true on the net is useful for lower =
level=20
  readers.<BR>4. "If we cut out the magazines, does that mean that we =
will have=20
  internet<BR>computers for every student?"<BR>5. Magazines (and other =
print=20
  materials) can still be used when the power<BR>(or phone line) goes=20
out.</LI></OL>
<P><FONT size=3D2>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</FONT></P>
<P>Number One, not every parent will sign the AUP for their child to use =

the<BR>Internet at school.<BR><BR>Number Two, you can't hold a Web page =
for=20
in-depth reading and magazine<BR>subscriptions are expensive but far =
less costly=20
than printer paper and<BR>supplies.<BR><BR>Number Three, it is just a =
plain=20
delight to sight, touch, and smell to read<BR>a magazine. No child =
should grow=20
up with out this experience.<BR><FONT =
size=3D2>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</FONT></P>
<P>Not all magazines are available on the 'net. InfoTrac, E-library, =
etc,=20
for<BR>the most part (like 99%) don't have the illustrations, graphs, =
charts,=20
etc.<BR>Then, to encourage reading, we subscribe to general interest =
magazines.=20
Back<BR>issues are really popular and those are almost always _not_ free =
on the=20
web.<BR>Another argument for 'hardcopy' is that not all kids have home =
access to=20
the<BR>'net. How're they going to 'check out' the 'net for homework,=20
recreational<BR>reading, etc.? We have shrunk our collection =
considerably since=20
the advent<BR>of InfoTrac, e-library, 'net access, etc. We used savings =
in=20
mag<BR>subscriptions to pay for those 'net sources!<BR></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</FONT></P>
<P>Reading articles in magazines is easier on their eyes.<BR>They are=20
portable.<BR>They have cool advertising.<BR>Kids like them.<BR>They are =
cheap=20
and disposable.<BR>You can take them to the bathroom.<BR>They can be cut =
up for=20
pictures and are far cheaper than color copies off<BR>the net.<BR>The=20
information is easier to find.<BR>Kids can use them when the net is=20
down.<BR>Twenty kids can use twenty magazines, The only number of =
articles=20
surfed on<BR>the web is directly proportional to the number of=20
terminals.<BR>Give me time I'll come up with 10 more reasons.<BR>Easier =
to=20
preview.<BR>You know the source of the information.<BR>Students not =
distracted=20
by a Pokemon site</P>
<P><FONT size=3D2>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</FONT></P>
<P>And for those times the Internet is down....<BR>and for the joy of =
picking up=20
and browsing....<BR>and when computers are busy....<BR>and where there =
are no=20
computers....<BR>and quality of pictures...<BR>and the love of =
READING!</P>
<P>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</P>
<P>1) Internet connection is down.<BR>2) Pictures, graphs, and other=20
illustrations are not included in online magazines.<BR>3) Not enough =
computers=20
to go around for a class of kids.<BR>4) Printing off tons of magazines =
articles=20
is as expensive as ordering some to look at in the first place.<BR>5) =
More=20
comfortable to read while slouched in a chair instead of looking at a =
computer=20
screen.<BR>6) Kids don't have great search strategies yet and get =
garbage off=20
the internet instead of researched materials in magazines.<BR>6) Kids =
need stuff=20
to carry around and read for fun, which computers don't =
provide.<BR><BR>These=20
have been some of my justifications for continuing both hard copies of =
magazines=20
and hard copies of Reader's Guide!</P>
<P><FONT size=3D2>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</FONT></P>
<P>1. Not all magazines are on the web. And not all articles in all =
magazine=20
<BR>are on the web. And few ads are on the web versions. There are =
things that=20
<BR>are omitted.<BR>2. What do you do when your connection is =
down?<BR>3. Do you=20
want to waste all that colored ink?<BR>4. How does anyone borrow a =
magazine from=20
the web?<BR>5. Not all full-text indexes show graphics.<BR>6. Some =
people are=20
more comfortable with the hard copy.<BR>7. Hard copy is easier to read =
on the=20
train, commuter bus, etc. Is he <BR>willing to give the kids wireless=20
laptops?<BR>8. On-line magazines use one workstation per reader, keeping =
others=20
from <BR>using that workstation for other purposes.<BR><BR>I have been =
through=20
this at the <BR>middle school through graduate school level. You do need =

print</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00BD_01BFCF4D.F6127760--