-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Williams
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Sent: 6/10/00 12:08 PM

This is not a hoot, but a serious comment on a subject that (obviously)
is
close to my heart.  For some time I have been bothered by advertising in
general; its effect on young people; and the image of libraries and
librarians.  This rant comes from a listserv I monitor and I have Mr.
Jim
Walsh's (the author's) permission to forward it.  Please read and
reflect.

Context:  yet another commercial depicting librarians as tight-butted
control freaks:

>What really alarms me is the subtext of these commercials. Who cares if
>people think we are stodgy or anal obsessive? The underlying scary
message
>is the same one delivered by nearly every advertisment around. "Only
you
>count, sharing (e.g. books)is for losers who like to wait in long
lines,
>whatever you desire should be yours immediately without delay, anyone
who
>inhibits your immediate gratification is an oppressor, only buying the
right
>products gurantees your happiness and freedom." The entire advertising
>culture is designed (deliberately) to foster infantile dependency on a
>handful of mega-suppliers of supposedly gratifying products, while
>cultivating the widespread delusion of choice and freedom. Read "No
Logo" by
>Naomi Klein to see how some people are fighting back.

> No wonder the
>advertisers so often portray librarians negatively. We stand for
everything
>that opposes their greedy dreams: self-knowledge, real autonomy,
resource
>sharing vs. resource selling, and true liberation. They must fear us
>terribly to mount some of the vicious attacks I have seen recently. I
forget
>which computer or Internet company recently protrayed the library as a
vast,
>grey, prison overseen by a Big Brother-like character bent on limiting
and
>controlling the information supplicants. Only buying the advertisers
product
>(again I forget which)could liberate the oppressed. See the agenda?
Whatever