Hours I have received the following comments. It appears that we are
on to something but we need more input on guidelines. So I will pose
this Target question again from time to time. Jeannette Croft, Library
Consultant

           Original Target:
>Dear Peter,
  I would like to ask you or other members of the LM_Net listserve if
they are receiving any recognized in-service professional development
hours for their membership to LM_Net.
   1. If yes. How is it recognized?
   2. If no. How would members go about setting guidelines for this
forum as professional development?<

            Hits:
Peter's comments:
"That is an interesting question that I think you should not hesitate
asking our group. Perhaps there is a way that a teacher or
administrator within the district could supervise the experience for
their local
teachers who have an objective, such as making the use of the
Target-Hit process to learn something or solve a problem?"

Jeannette Croft:
   After speaking with five Professional Development directors their
concern was in documenting the exact hours in a document proposal
format that would be excepted by the Development Committees. The
question of how this would be  posed to a committee was interesting it
was suggested that it come from the Teachers bargaining Union or
equivalent.  What I think I am hearing is: "If we ask, they may
consider it." ?
   After speaking with teacher mentors who are member of listserves.
The comment was noted that in some ways the have been documenting that
the listserv is where their proposals for developing inservice ideas
is originated from. Ideas are gathered but the actual time is not
utilized as a professional development hours only the end results of
their conducting and sharing the materials in direct inservice
applications taught.

Terri Pope:
This is an excellent idea.  In our system, we do not currently receive
credit for this type of activity; however, I learn more from LM_NET
than any other resource available.

Vicki Sweet:
It certainly is an interesting idea.  We all spend hours reading and
answering each other, it would be an added bonus to get credit for it!

Cindy Riegel:
!  I would be interested in a hit.  I'm from PA and beginning July 1,
2000 we need professional development credit.  I certainly spend
enough time on LM_NET and get enough info that I would love to have
this count for my pro development.  Would you please let me know if
you make any progress in this and how you went about it?  Thanks.

Carolyn:
I saw that posting, and I think its an interesting question....it will
be
interesting to see what the responses are - if any!