Hi all - I shared the "Advantages and Disadvantages of AR/RR" list
posted by Eva Putnam last week (Thanks, Eva) with my RR Advisory
Committee and we came up with these responses to the perceived
disadvantages:

Disadvantages:
Turns kids off of reading, especially if grades are given.
        We can give grades for participation and effort, or not give them in
reference to this program at all.

Problems arise when teachers become fixated on points and reading
levels.
        Remember to "preach" that competition is only against yourself;
de-emphasize competition and talk about reaching goals instead; take
every opportunity to "preach" that readers can and should read ANYTHING
they want to; reading levels are only for testing purposes…

Kids won't read a book if it's not AR.
        Again, distinguish between testing limitations and "real life" reading;
talk frankly about the AR program and the process of writing a test for
a book (the company just can't keep up!!)

Discourages free reading, love of literature, and reading non-fiction.
        Not from what I've seen!

The faculty sometimes dictates the selection policy for the Media
Center.
        LMC program must advocate assertively for its collection development
needs beyond AR/RR titles - award winners, curriculum support, research
resources, etc.

They want nothing but AR books.
It's difficult to get kids to read books that are not on the AR list.
        Teachers, parents, and LMC program need to do what they always did to
promote these books before there was an AR/RR program - sales pitches,
booktalks, enthusiasm, modeling, etc.

Some parents push their kids to earn points.
        This is an important place for us to set tone and share philosophy.
Help parents distinguish between supporting and pushing; encourage them
to let the system do its work (positive peer pressure, schoolwide
pro-reading culture, etc); their role is cheerleader; redirect their
energies to family literacy efforts like read aloud, public library
visits, modeling at home, reminding them that independent reading WILL
come when it is time developmentally if there is a strong foundation of
family literacy.

Books wear out faster from use.
        Yipee! What a great problem to have! Seriously though, this adds
relevance to bookcare lessons and policies.

When students limit themselves to reading only the AR books, they
sometimes feel they've read everything before too long.
        Get more AR books! Use this "problem" to justify additional program
funding.

Sometimes students are not allowed to have recess if they do not have
their AR points.
        NEVER use reading as a punishment! It defeats the bigger message that
reading is a privilege, a delight, a joy…

Too much emphasis on the points and not enough on the reading
comprehension.
        See above.

Kids experience burnout.
        Keep "just for fun" aspects of program fresh; actively introduce new
promotions often.

Your library collection gets divided into two collections.
        Keep collection interfiled (just like public library)

If not managed well, it can become a "read for the points" program.
        Again, keep it real. Who reads for points in the real world. Readers
read for entertainment and learning - AR/RR just encourages and
acknowledges that.

Some teachers tend to be too restrictive and won't let a child read
above or below their reading level, even if they have a terrific
interest in a particular book.
        Read ANY book. Test ONLY within your level independently, and only
above it for readalouds. Never say the second sentence without the
first.

Doesn't allow children free choice in the materials they select.
        Keep adding titles; "sell" existing titles

A lot of poorly written books get on the list.
        If we really find that's true, we can remove them from our collection
and test list. Hasn't been a problem so far.

Kids get tired of reading for points.  They worry about getting enough
points.
        Emphasize achievement and progress. Make kids feel good and cement
their self-images as READERS with everything you say.

--
Ellen Gadberry, LMS
Kingsley Charter School (PK-5)