Dear Virtual Colleagues,

Here is a compilation of suggestions that I received regarding my query
last Friday about what to do when your circ system goes down.  Many thanks
to Melany, Geraldine, Vicki, Virginia, Victoria, Judy A., Cheryl, Maureen,
Eleanor, Sharon, Beth, Carolyn, Laura, Gwyn, Holly, Pat, Anne, Sharon,
Jean, Gail, Judy S., Tina, Ruth Ann, Lynn, Jill, Carol, Debbie, Bev, and
Barb for sending their ideas, suggestions, and sympathy!  I always knew
that many heads are better than one (especially if one it losing it) and
LM_NET proves this once again.

Here are the suggestions:

1. Get a handheld scanner - A portable barcode scanner, used for
inventory, can also be used as a remote circ station temporarily.  Using
this device you can scan the patron barcode and the book barcode(s), and
then upload all the information from this portable scanner when the system
comes back up.  Some people reported that they were able to handle a whole
day (or longer) of circulation this way.

2. Reduce the number of books kids can check out.  Have students take just
one or two books. Check out only to staff.

3. Manual recording systems
        - Make a form for recording the information needed.
        - Preprint class lists with student barcodes; then just write in
the book barcode.
        - Record keyword of title as a cross-check.
        - Use the old cards and pockets.

4. Load books to be checked in on a cart and when system comes up, check
them in first.

5. On Windows computer - scan patron and book barcodes into notepad and
then print. Key it later by hand.  This way you don't have to read
handwriting.

6. At beginning of year, go over with staff and students what will happen
when circ goes down so everyone knows what to expect.

7. "Bad looks are appropriate as long as they are directed at the computer
and not at me as I didn't tell the computer to take a break." [Thanks to
Vicki for this gem.]

8. Relax and don't let this make you crazy.

Thanks again to all who shared.  LM_NET is wonderful!!!  DJR

Donna J. Reidhead                         Timnath Elementary School (K-6)
Media and Technology Teacher            P.O. Drawer 10   3909 Main Street
reidhead@psd.k12.co.us                            Timnath, Colorado 80547
School: (970) 493-5978                                Fax: (970) 493-1264