 "Wringer" is one of my favorite books.  When it came out I ordered it
because of the reviews; I did not get a chance to read it when it come in;
one of my 7th grade Honors boys asked to read it when I was opening the new
books.  He brought it back when finished and said it was the best book he
had read and I had to read it.  I read it and the 7th grade English teacher
read it.  We both loved it and had a great discussion with Peter about it.
Peter brought me a newspaper clipping about a small Pa. town which holds the
pigeon shoots each year.  I just came across an article about legislation in
Pa. where they tried to outlaw the practice of shooting pigeons and sending
young children out to wring the necks of pigeons who weren't dead.  The
legislation failed.

I always recommended it to students and also booktalked it; boys especially
would check it out and everyone always said they enjoyed it.

There are so many levels to the book; I see it as a coming of age story; one
about sticking to your beliefs; great for animal rights discussions.  I
could also see it being used for debates; pros and cons of the argument; I
particularly liked the thread about the father being a "Wringer" and how we
learn at the end that it always bothered him.  The English teacher and I
also liked the portrayals of the parents in the story.

Diane Pozar
Monroeville, Pa.
We read to know we are not alone.  C.S. Lewis