One of the things that our district does to minimize end of year shenanigans
is to throw everyone out the last day of school.  The last day is usually
scheduled as a half day.  When the bell for the end of the last scheduled
class period rings, everyone, students, staff, janitors, is herded out and
the school locked up tight.  The first time I was in a high school on the
last day, I didn't pay much attention.  I was working on some computer
problems in the library and I wanted to go on working for a little longer.
To my knowledge, our schools and particularly high schools always had SOMEONE
around.  When I finished up about an hour later and trotted out of the
library building into the courtyard to leave, I discovered that I was locked
in an EMPTY school.  Furthermore, by leaving the library building, I had just
locked myself out of contact with a phone.  Fortunately for me, one of the
office staff came back for something in her desk and I was able to attract
her attention and get her to let me out through the office.  Since then, I'm
way more attentive on the last day of school!
Incidentally, this policy does seem to end-of-school problems.

Barbara Allen
Program Analyst
Library Services
Site #5619