Many thanks. Here are answers received to my query on purchasing textbooks:

I'm not in the business of purchasing texts, but I do teach for a University
on the base here at Quantico and it seems that their bookstore, who supplies
my texts, orders directly from the publishers.
How about trying a HIT on the net to find out whether a jobber handles
texts?  Try jobbers like Mackin, Follett and a few of those....these days it
would seem that the publishers would need jobbers in order to deal with the
volume.  Also, large states like the state of TExas who purchase tons of
texts must use jobbers.....maybe a direct request to a state education dept.
would net some assistance!  Also, try a major university like Univ. of
Maryland who has satellites worldwide....they must use some form of jobber.

_______________

When we ordered new textbooks, which did for the entire district (7
schools) at a time, we ordered directly from the publisher. She might try
that and see if she could at least get the list price. If she orders
enough, she should be able to get some sort of discount.
________________

Follett (same basic co. as library services) has a textbooks division.
Academic Textbooks (?) I can't remember the name, but they have used
texts too.

There is a new service to university book stores as I am told where ALL
the ordering is done online.  I bet big business.  If I can get more
info for you I will -- Oxford Textbook Service (?)

Ellen Beunderman
Consultant, Primary School Library of
The International School of Paris, France

Geneva, Switzerland
ellenb@iprolink.ch