I am doing research on how Bibliographic Instruction is conducted in a
university setting.  I need to prepare a 20-minute presentation for a
workshop, but this is for the first session.  We have not been given
guidelines.

I have done research on the topic using books and the web, which has helped.
  The info is very varied, ranging from how to create a BI program on the
web (which is not what they want me to do in this case), to more basic
styles.  I would like advice from experienced professionals on how to do a
"generic" university B.I. presentation.

I have an MLS and have been working in the a busy public library system for
9 years.  For us, BI is more like the standard "library tour."  We don't
tend to have the time or staff to get really indepth, unless a class is
scheduled to come in for that purpose.

An academic setting would be quite different.  I do have a rough-draft plan
so far.  I would begin by describing the particular library, its holdings,
etc (in a hypothetical example).  Then I would discuss how you choose a
topic, and narrow or broaden it.  I would talk about search terms.  I would
discuss sources (ref sources, journals, books, etc.), and electronic
sources.  I would discuss the difference betw scholarly and pop sources.  I
would give an example and walk them through it.  Keep in mind that the
presentation is only to be 20 minutes, and that due to the limitations of
the workshop, the group/audience (other library professionals)will not be
physically in a library, just a room.   Given the 20-minute limit, I would
like advice on how to do a good presentation that is not superficial, while
covering the key areas.

I am in desperate need of advice, suggestions, tips.  Please e-mail me.
Thank you so much for your time.

Lynn Opinante
Assistant Branch Librarian
The Branches, New York Public Library, NYC
L_OPINANTE@HOTMAIL.COM