Dear LM_NETters:

I turn to you for help. Today after I opened a friend's email attachment
(A Microsoft Word document with the .doc extension) and then tried to
open the document itself...my Word program would start up (the Microsoft
Word 97 screen logo comes on and then the icon appears down on the
active toolbar at the bottom of my screen) but no toolbar appears at the
top of the screen and no documents open! I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get
the Close Program box to come up on the screen in order to close Word!
When I tried to open other Word documents that I have, the same thing
would happen...the Word logo flashes on the screen and then plops itself
in the active toolbar at the bottom of the screen...but nothing on the
desktop at all?!?!?

I updated my virus list this past weekend (Nortons) and ran Scan Disk
after the event (no viruses found) and went to Live Update to get
anything that might be new since Friday and was told that I didn't need
to Update again so soon. I can't imagine what I've done wrong? It's got
to be some sort of virus?

I have an IBM Aptiva and run Windows 95. My Microsoft Excel and Access
are both working fine. It's just Word that is not working.

Has anyone else had this problem recently. Does anyone know how to solve
it? I am panicky. All my documents are Word documents! Any help would be
MOST appreciated:-)

Thanks in advance

--
Jody Newman