Dear LM-Netters,
I am repeating my request for information on history books since I still do
not have enough information to post a HIT. I am a graduate student in the
school media program and I don't have a lot of experience in the nature of
school libraries yet. I would really appreciate any help you can provide.

My original request asked in reference to school media centers:  "Is there
a shortage of history books for children?"

I'd like to clarify that a bit more because I think my original question
was too vague:

1. Can you estimate the percentage of history books (nonfiction, historical
biographies, and historical fiction) that you think your library owns?
2. How often do these books circulate? Are they popular with children?
3. (As far as you know) Are they used more for projects and assignments
than for pleasure?
4. Which series of historical fiction are popular with your students? For
example, do the children like the Dear America series?  Boys and girls
equally?
5. What do you think of the quality of the children's history books? Are
there certain publishers that are known for high quality accuracy in content?

I have already checked the archives and could not find much information on
this topic, but if you know of past discussions or websites that would be
helpful to me I would be most appreciative.

Margie

Marjorie Pettersen
University of Hartford (HRM)
200 Bloomfield Ave. W.Hartford, CT 06117
Interlibrary Services-Mortensen Library
E-mail: pettersen@mail.hartford.edu
Voice mail: (860) 768-5334
Fax: (860) 768-5298