Thanks again to everyone who contributed!  This really helped Louise (the
other librarian) and I a lot.  It was amazing to see how everyone responded.
  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Sarah

Sarah Conover
Library student,
Library aide/Computer lab monitor
University of Montana, Missoula, MT
portia_mov@hotmail.com
euterpe@selway.umt.edu
"'Our job,' said the count, 'is to see that all the words sold are proper
ones, for it wouldn't do to sell someone a word that had no meaning or
didn't exist at all.  For instance, if you bought a word like "ghlbtsk,"
where would you use it?'"  --Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth

CRAZY HORSE ELECTRIC GAME by Chris Crutcher is one possibility.

There are two books out about a boy named Joey Pigza (the name is in the
title, but I can't remember now the names of the books). He has a severe
behavioral/learning disability. Very moving books.

The View From Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg deals with a physical handicap
(paraplegic).

Don't know if these would help because both are stories of young people
who are disabled by accidents.  Izzy Willy Nilly by Cynthia Voight and
Head over Wheels -can't remember the author but it is the story of twin
brother one of whom becomes paralyzed. Christopher Reeves comes to mind
for an autobiography.

I bought a book a few years ago by Barry Rosen,
"The Dog That Didn't Give Up". I believe I bought this
book at my son's school when the author visited as he
signed the inside. This book deals with dyslexia and
is written rather simply. I also believe that it may
have been published by the author through the
publishing company Be Romantic Publishing (B.R.
Publishing) in Knoxville, TN.
As Mr. Rosen wrote on the back cover "the book is
written at a 3rd to 6th grade reading level and the
storyline is for kids 3 to 33 years old." He also
states it is based on a true story.
Even though I knew it was for a young reader, I read
it, and I enjoyed it too.
Hope this helps some.

This list contains novels dealing with a myriad of
physical disabilities:

Moses goes to a concert by Millman, Isaac
Tangerine by Bloor, Edward
Before the lark by Brown, Irene Bennett
Accident by Colman, Hila
Sees behind trees by Dorris, michael
Marrying Malcolm  Murgatroyd by Farrell, mame
Safe at second by Johnson, Scott
The view from Saturday by Konigsburg, E.L.
Missing sisters by Maguire, gregory
listen for the fig tree by Mathis, sharon Bell
stranded by Mikaelsen, Ben
Gaps in stone walls by Neufeld, John
Freak the mighty by Philbrick, W.R.
Just like everybody else by Rosen, Lillian
After the dancing days by Rostkowski, Margaret
Run, don't walk: a novel by Savitz, Harriet
Timothy of the cay by Taylor, Theodore
Izzy, willy0nilly by Voight, Cynthia
Marathon miranda by Winthrop, Elizabeth

Here is a website with links to bibliotherapy sites.
http://home.earthlink.net/~esmejake/biblink.htm

How about The Acorn People by Ron Jones?

For early high school:
        Just one friend by Hall
        Probably Nick Swanson by Knox
        Succeeding with LD (true stories) Lauren
        Extraordinary people with disabilities (biography) Kent

You might tried Izzy, Willy Nilly by Cynthia Voight.  It's about a 15 year
old girl who loses her leg in a car accident.  She has to learn to deal with
her new disability.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but Izzy
Willy-Nilly by Cynthia Voigt concerns a young girl teen who has to have her
leg
amputated after being in a bad car accident.  In the book she has to deal
with
going back to school, getting around on crutches, finding out who her
friends
are now that she's not a popular cheerleader, etc.