Dear Colleagues,

I have been asked to make suggestions on general layout and furniture
purchases for a new library in the Early Childhood Center in the city where I
work as middle school librarian.  There will be 800 students at this
newly-refurbished school.

Although I plan to identify and visit other school libraries with this grade
configuration, I would really appreciate your input about what physical
aspects of your own library you love or would like to change, or wish were
present.

Here are some additional questions I would love to have your thoughts on:

How important is a sink?  Or a library work area/room?  (Neither is included
in the plans for this library)

Assuming that the room has a single-level floor, what would be your ideal
design for a storytime area?

    In this area would students sit on chairs?  Benches?  Pillows?

In the design of this room, almost every wall is windows.  Any suggestions on
how to solve the need for display surfaces or bulletin board space?   Are
these features are as important at primary school as at middle school (grades
5-7)?

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cathy Rosenstock, LMS
Marlborough Middle School
Marlborough, MA 01752