This is to express my extreme thanks to all who responded to my inquiry=
 with a number of great suggestions.  I also received a couple of requests=
 for a HIT, so here it is:

PBS Kids, especially the Between the Lions part.  It's=
 http://www.pbskids.org/
****************************************************************************=
***********
Our first and second graders use http://www.enature.com/for simple=
 research.
****************************************************************************=
***********
The Jan Brett website has excellent activities and pictures to go with her=
 books.  http://www.janbrett.com/
****************************************************************************=
*************
Kids Click can be adjusted for reading levels.
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/KidsClick!/search.html
****************************************************************************=
************
One site I use a lot is http://www.enchantedlearning.com/
****************************************************************************=
************
Hi. Look at http://www.funbrain.com/.
****************************************************************************=
************
alfy.com/, CleverIsland.com
****************************************************************************=
************
Thanksgiving: http://blackdog4kids.com/holiday/thanks/color/

Students can "color" Thanksgiving pictures using the computer. Use your own=
 judgment on the pictures, like "Run Fast," "Incognito," and "Bang." You=
 can choose which pictures you want your students to use - the "Hat" is=
 cute!

Native Americans: http://www.u.arizona.edu/ic/kmartin/

Tribes, Activities, History, Stereotypes - When you click on "Tribes," a=
 screen comes up with a U.S. map and several other icons - "House," "Food,"=
 "Clothes." When you place your mouse over one of these icons (ex. "Food"),=
 the other two icons that correlate with the tribe who eats this particular=
 food will also be highlighted! And, the map will illustrate which part of=
 the country this particular tribe is from. This web site simplifies=
 learning about the food, clothing, and housing of a specific Native=
 American tribe through pictures. Great for younger students!!
****************************************************************************=
****************
Here is my page-- check Mous-ercise, Science, and all the holidays :)
http://www.minadeo.pps.pgh.pa.us/library/library_home.htm
****************************************************************************=
***************
Have you tried http://www.mikids.com/K2.html?  Lots of K-2 web site=
 options!
Super site!
****************************************************************************=
***************
I'd suggest you try ALFY: http://www.alfy.com/
It was specifically designed for pre-readers so it talks to the user=
 (although you have to be patient if you're using a dial up connection).
****************************************************************************=
****************
Have you tried www.edupuppy.com?
****************************************************************************=
**************** There are lots of sites that do not require reading. Take=
 a look at the
Clifford web sites, either at http://www.scholastic.com/ or=
 http://www.pbs.org/
The Arthur website, on http://www.pbs.org/, is wonderful too with lots of=
 games to play, stories written by kids about Arthur, and coloring sheets.
For Science topics, you might want to look at http://www.brainpop.com/.
I don't know how much research you can do with kids on a low reading level=
 but there are lots of sites out there that I wouldn't call "research"=
 sites.
You could try going on http://www.yahooligans.com/or=
 http://www.ajkids.com/and putting in a topic. I have done this with kids=
 and it works out well. Both of these search engines are kid safe.
****************************************************************************=
****************
I have used Dr. Seuss at http://www.randomhouse.com/seussvilleand other=
 stories at http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~dkbrown/stories.html.  I have a=
 bookmark for Berenstain Bears and also Authur.  I couldn't get the Authur=
 to connect but maybe you can find it.  Hope these help.  The stories one=
 will read the stories to the kids.
****************************************************************************=
****************
This site links to the core subject matter sites, each of which has lots of=
 pre-selected sites and lessons for K-2 and the other grades:
http://score.k12.ca.us/
****************************************************************************=
****************
Our Area Education Agency does workshops on this topic and has many links=
 on our web page.  The address is:  http://www.aea2.k12.ia.us/
Click on Teachers....Links for Teachers.....Net Babies.....Go to Net Babies=
 links.  There is an article written by one of our consultants along with=
 the links.  I hope this is helpful.
****************************************************************************=
****************
Have you discovered the Education World website yet?  It provides reviews=
 of hundreds+ of websites and provides recommended grade levels.  It is=
 searchable by topic. http://www.education-world.com/
****************************************************************************=
****************
Try the great sites link at http://www.ala.org/; also http://funbrain.com/=
 has some fun stuff that may be suitable. Good luck.
****************************************************************************=
**************
http://alfy.com/ is a great choice.  It does not require that kids can=
 read, as everything is pictoral and fun and educational.  There is a page=
 of links for teachers that is valuable as well.
****************************************************************************=
****************
Jan Brett has a wonderful site - and you can tie it in with her books!=
  Take a look at http://www.janbrett.com
****************************************************************************=
****************
Try NASA's starchild site - you can choose either a Level 1 or 2 for=
 reading level http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/StarChild.html
Enchanted Learning is another terrific primary level site at
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/Home.html
Warren W. Behan
Technology & Media Teacher
PS 23, Bronx, NY