Dear LMNetters:

I received about thirty-five responses to my question, "Does anyone sell
their weeded books."  I summarized the responses below...

Yes - 18 people could sell their weeded books.  Price ranges ran from
10 cents a book to a dollar or two.  The public libraries, of course,
sell their books during the Friends of the Library sale.  A couple of
people specifically said that the district or state ok'd the sales.

No - 7 people.  One persons said it was a state law that forbade librarians
from selling weeded books.  Another said that their district required
them to send the books to the county warehouse.

Yes, BUT - 6 people.  The librarians who responded this way had sold
their books but ran into problems.
- We are allowed to, but I find the public doesn't understand why I remove
"perfectly good" books.
- I did once, but my district told me I had to discard the books.
- For two years we did, but the school board said we could not anymore.
- Yes, but selling the books caused such an uproar (from the community)
that I will never do it again.
- Yes, I did sell in one district but am not allowed to in my current
district.

Thank you for all of the responses.  I will ask my principal if I can
sell the books.  I know of a used book store in another city that might
buy them.

Susan

--
Susan Myers
Chesnee High School Librarian

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com