Friends: These are the replies I received from my request for books to
update my Puritan and colonial era books. If you have any further ideas, I
will add them to the list. Thank you so much.
Jean R. Rowan LMS
Downey Community School
Brockton MA
bjrowan@mediaone.net

Jean Fritz has written several short biographies of individuals who
lived during the colonial period  -- most of them are about people who
had some involvement in the American Revolution such as Samuel Adams,
John Hancock, etc.

Old, but good   Edwin Tunis' books about the tools used during various
periods of American history (I've forgotten titles)

This is neither Pilgrim nor Puritan, but be sure to get Welcome to
Felicity's World from the American Girl series. All those "Welcome To" books
are excellent, highly visual, and very informative, with a lot of background
on the time period involved. In Felicity's case it's just prior to the
Revolution.

Eating the Plates: A Pilgrim book of food and manners by Lucille Penner
Stranded at Plimouth Plantation by Gary Bowen
Who's that stepping on Plymouth Rock? by Jean Fritz
If you sailed on the Mayflower in 1620 by Ann McGovern
Squanto, friend of the Pilgrims
The books by Kate Waters are very good also...Sarah Morton's Day, Samuel
Eaton's Day, and Tapenum's Day.
Random House has a new easier-to-read set similar to its Landmark Book
set; I own one on the Pilgrims and one on Colonial America. They're large
books similar to Waldo books. I'd recommend the Cornerstone of Freedom set
from Children's Press.

My very favorite is "If you came over on the Mayflower" and the one on
colonial times in that same series. I too need more, so I'll be watching for
your list.