I'll try ...

Overwhelmingly, most people responded that it is a good idea
to collect (or to have sent) library books in the morning from the
classes who will have library that day.  That way, check in is
completed before the first check out.  Only two people responded
that they didn't do this, and they have a good point:  teaching students
the responsibility of returning the books they borrow.

It is pretty evenly split between allowing all students to choose at the
same time and having them choose by tables.  I'd say more people
let them all up at the same time and circulate among them, helping
students choose books before starting check out.  Most leave 15 min.
at the end of the period for book exchange, except the few who have
fixed periods after 10:30 for instruction, but have open library in the
morning for flexible check in/out.  (Ideal, I would think).

Again, overwhelmingly, LMSs seem to make use of volunteer help
of all ages -- including older students and parents.  (Neither is viable
for me, unfortunately).  MANY of you allow students to do their own
check out (as one responder wrote ... "imperfect as that is" ...).  Those
who aren't automated almost universally use a board with personalized
cards pasted to it for each class where students place their borrowed
book card.  (A very good idea ... )

As to discipline ... the best idea seemed to be the use of 6' voices (you
must be within 6 inches of the person to hear it).  Many of you mentioned
this and I hadn't heard it before.  Most have puzzles, games, worksheets,
color sheets, etc. at the tables for students to use to keep quiet.  NOBODY
allows rotations like I am trying!  The consensus seems to be that at
elementary
they need structure!  Also, I think I will refuse to do check-outs for drop
in
students while I have a fixed class in the library.  After all, EVERYBODY in
the elementary has a fixed, 50-minute schedule which allows time for book
exchange.

Most people said my intentions are noble, but not feasible.  It seems to be
a universal problem if you don't have one person doing the checking out
and yourself helping students select books.  Many have teachers accompany
classes -- but my class is their planning period -- won't work!

Nobody has a perfect system, and the noise level appears to be a concern
across the board.  The thing I most appreciate after this flood of
is that "I'm doing it right ..." It is a big job for all of us, and many,
many, many
people feel just like I do.  THAT HELPS.  I got some great tips --
1) Collect books in the a.m.
2) Try to have open library for book selection in the a.m. and the fixed
period
     for instruction as scheduled.
3)  DO NOT let students rotate centers, but allow them to choose their
activity
     after selecting a book -- with 6 inch voices.
4)  Have students use shelf-markers, and if I ever spot one with a book in
     one hand and a marker in the other -- THAT is the book they have
"chosen."
5)  Most importantly -- expect to evolve over the years and stop expecting
     perfection from myself within 2 weeks of school starting.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Carrie Wilson, K-12 SLMS
North Pemiscot R-1
Wardell, MO 63879