Hi. Now that the flurry of excitement of the new school year has
subsided and the dust has settled, we hope you will start the year with
a great activity for your elementary students. It's the Awesome WebSite
Awards or AWArds!!

The importance of learning to critically evaluate the Web resources they
use cannot be exaggerated. The AWArds activity allows you to teach
critical evaluation skills to young children in a way that is both
meaningful and fun.

The AWArds asks students to evaluate Web sites and nominate them for an
AWArd. Everything you need to participate is freely available at our Web
site at: http:istweb.syr.edu/AWArds

We invite you to visit the all new "For Kids Only" section of the AWArds
Web site. You can let students use this site independently or you can
use it as part of a lesson with a group or whole class. The kids'
section allows students to become "Junior WebSite Investigators" to
identify awesome Web sites. To help guide them is MAC, WebSite
Investigator, who takes kids deep inside his W.I.B. (WebSite
Investigator Branch---it's in a tree!) where they can play word games
that help them learn important evaluation terms, listen to MAC's clues,
or use the WebSite Generator to practice evaluating sites.

The "Educators" section of the site gives you everything you need to
participate in the Awesome WebSite Awards. You submit your nomination
electronically. Winners will be announced in School Library Media
Activities Monthly, Crinkles magazine, and both winners and runners-up
appear on the AWArds Web site.

Hurry…the deadline is approaching. All nominations must be received by
October 31, 2000. We hope to see your school represented in this
important activity.

Ruth Small, AWArds Project Co-Director
Director, School Media Program
School of Information Studies