At 10:44 AM 9/29/00 EDT, you wrote:
>Are there some books that just do not have a
>place on the shelves of a school library?  If this is the case, would this
>not be considered censorship and the obstruction of free speech.

Rebecca:

Yes, there are books that do not belong on the shelves of a school library,
but this is not censorship. School libraries exist primarily to support the
curriculum, and secondly to provide pleasure reading material. With those
two points in mind, you can easily see what does and doesn't fit. For
example, I used to teach in a 9-12 high school. I didn't have any picture
books, or even Easy books. Why? Those books did not fit the needs of any of
our students. Several people on this list teach in K-2 schools. They don't
need Gray's _Anatomy_. Why? It doesn't fit the curriculum, and it certainly
wouldn't qualify as pleasure reading.

I'm assuming, though, that you are talking about books that are of the
appropriate reading level, and might be of interest to students or faculty.
Perhaps you may be thinking of something like Madonna's sex book for a high
school library. The subject matter may (arguably) fit the curriculum, and
there certainly would be interest. However, unless you are in that rare
school that has more money available for you to spend than you can use, you
are limited in what you buy. Then you need to use your professional
judgement in selecting books and other materials. You are looking to get
the most for your money. Using that standard, Madonna's book falls short,
and you don't buy it. Since most, if not all, school librarians would make
the same decision, you could say that the book doesn't belong on the
library shelves. Does that make it a bad book? No, just not the right book.

As you continue your career you will be required to make such judgements
often. We call it selection, and we need to remember that we select, not
censor. As others have said, better than I can, we need to select our
materials based on the needs of our particular students. Books which are
never selected for school libraries aren't necessarily bad books, simply
not appropriate for our needs. We are not the same as public libraries, and
neither public libraries nor school libraries are the same as a college or
university library.

Yes, there are some books that are so bad that no library selects them. I
suspect that they are pretty rare, simply because publishers know that
libraries are big customers, and also selling partners, to a certain
extent. If no library buys a book, chances are that the general public
isn't going to buy it either. If a book doesn't sell, the publisher loses
money, and they don't like doing that.

Sorry this got so long, but it is something that needs to be discussed once
in a while.

David Lininger (KB0ZKE), LMS
Hickory County R-1 Schools
Rt 1, Box 838