With regards to Rebecca's question about censorship in school libraries
I'd like to reply to the whole listbecause it's an important issue for
all of us, and we might benefit from a yearly discussion of it.
When I was in library school at Chapel Hill swe read a classic article
by UNC's Lester Asheim, "Selection or Censorship."  I'm sorry that I
can't cite the source, but it's worth looking up.  The question is
fundamental.  We need to learn to be against censorship while still
practicising carefuyl selection of materials, given our client
population and our budget.  It's not censorship but selection that
drives me to choose books, magazine, etc. that reflect the world around
our students, that will lead them furthuer along the path toward an
educated arareness of the complexityies of life.  I have limited funds
and a responsibility for providing for boys ages 13 to 19.  I have to
judge a work on its merits -- if it has merit and is age-appropriate,
then I'll buy it -- if I have the money.  I will not omit something
because one or two persons might find it objectionable.
        I'd like to hear what others have to say on this matter.
--
Jane Hyde, Librarian            828-684-6232 x121
St. Dunstan Library             jhyde@christschool.org

The stars, after all, hang over pigs as they do above all the rest of
creation, and who knows what deep dreams a pig may be dreaming? --
William Steig