You could have the kids do a 'topic attack'. Provide them with a form that
walks them through the following:

Take a proposed topic, look up definition in dictionary. Look up topic in
Encyclopedia (paper, cd or online), skim  or read the main topic headings.

 Worldbook is neat with their outline at end of articles, as does Groliers
online.  At this point, the length of the articles themselves should be a
bit daunting and a hint that topic can be narrowed down.  The headings
should give some ideas.

Topic headings or sub headings should be listed. Some of the See Also
article titles need to be listed. Write down some of the more promising
titles.  Might even look at TOC for better idea if book will help.

Then they do an OPAC search for topic, listing subheadings, SEE and See Also
headings.  Hit Magazine indices, or online databases also.

Doing that, they have an idea of the scope of material available, and get a
better grasp on the breadth and depth of the topic.  They also have a start
on their references list.  And they get a good idea of some narrower topics
within their interest area.

Of course, the teachers could try a couple of their ideas to see what kids
would be facing......

I point out to kids ' Space is big, Solar System is a bit smaller, Mars is a
part of the Solar System, Exploring Mars is a part of that, and the Mars
Pathfinder was just one of the missions to Mars. And then point out we have
books on Mars, Nasa has site just for Pathfinder, etc.  Actually, going to
http://kids.msfc.nasa.gov/  and drilling down through any topic shows the
progressive focusing of the topic and still providing plenty of information.

--
Robert Eiffert, Librarian at Image Elementary
Vancouver WA