Here's what I do-
Lots of review.
We do scavenger hunts by subject, by author, by title. We use the computer =
to find articles and make subject booklists. We draw and label maps of the =
library. We create recommended reading lists together. I do a picture book =
study. Genre books talks- I may talk about 5 mystery books or science =
fiction books. New books,  I let them know which books are brand new. I =
read aloud poetry and we write some of our own.  We do research using =
encyclopedias and on-line databases. If the classroom teacher requests =
books on a certain topic that is their assignment that day. I read aloud a =
chapter book for 5-10 minutes of the period. Right now it is Because of =
Winn Dixie, last year The Trolls.  I have rack of high interest magazines =
like Kid City, Ranger Rick, Zoo Books that they can sit and read while =
others are browsing.  I have blank cartooning grids available for anyone =
and a plastic writing box with pencils and markers available.  Blank paper =
for who ever wants it. Those draw 50 books are very popular and Emberly's =
purple drawing book. etc. I also let them do origami.  If they can name =
the book that they are reading in their classroom and a book they are =
reading at home, I leave them alone as long as they are working quietly.

 Classroom management technique- five minutes talking (tops), ten minutes =
active doing, five minute response to activity, ten minute browsing (more =
than that  usually means trouble)=20

While I read aloud a chapter book, I let them lay on the floor and/ or =
fiddle with pipecleaners

Every one has a name plate a their seat so I can see who is still missing =
and wandering around.

Lisa

Lisa Von Drasek, MLIS
Children's Librarian