--MS_Mac_OE_3069220209_388152_MIME_Part

Colleagues,

Our school district here in New Hampshire traditionally starts the student
school year, 180 days, after Labor Day. The calendar includes a week off in
February and another in April. This year, because of several storms, we will
not reach our 180th day until June 27.

We do not start before Labor Day for several reasons: students are employed
in the service industries and are needed through the end of the season;  and
of course, for the ever-popular We've Always Done It This Way.

Now the school board wants to eliminate the April recess to get us out
quicker in June. Most agree that getting out earlier would be a good idea,
but few I've spoken with feel that it is in the best interest of students to
do it in this way.

That's my story, and now I ask for your opinions and feedback. First of all:
have you experienced first-hand ANY adjustment of your calendar in this
fashion? What was the adjustment specifically? What impact did it have on
your students, their families, and the school staff? In what way(s) did
student learning improve or suffer?

Finally, and most important: how did the calendar adjustment affect your
library programs -- research individually and by classes, circulation, etc.?

Please respond to me directly. I will summarize and post a hit. Thanks in
advance.

Chris Finer
Newfound High School
Bristol, NH, USA

-- cfiner@newfound.k12.nh.us --

"The school nutures both teamwork and thorny individualism, at once the
readiness to serve and the readiness to resist, for nobody knows ahead of
time which the Good Citizen may have to do."  -- Paul Gagnon

--MS_Mac_OE_3069220209_388152_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>TARGET: School calendar modifications</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
Colleagues,<BR>
<BR>
Our school district here in New Hampshire traditionally starts the student =
school year, 180 days, after Labor Day. The calendar includes a week off in =
February and another in April. This year, because of several storms, we will=
 not reach our 180th day until June 27.<BR>
<BR>
We do not start before Labor Day for several reasons: students are employed=
 in the service industries and are needed through the end of the season; &nb=
sp;and of course, for the ever-popular We've Always Done It This Way.<BR>
<BR>
Now the school board wants to eliminate the April recess to get us out quic=
ker in June. Most agree that getting out earlier would be a good idea, but f=
ew I've spoken with feel that it is in the best interest of students to do i=
t in this way.<BR>
<BR>
That's my story, and now I ask for your opinions and feedback. First of all=
: have you experienced first-hand ANY adjustment of your calendar in this fa=
shion? What was the adjustment specifically? What impact did it have on your=
 students, their families, and the school staff? In what way(s) did student =
learning improve or suffer? <BR>
<BR>
Finally, and most important: how did the calendar adjustment affect your li=
brary programs -- research individually and by classes, circulation, etc.?<B=

<BR>
Please respond to me directly. I will summarize and post a hit. Thanks in a=
dvance.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Chris Finer<BR>
Newfound High School<BR>
Bristol, NH, USA<BR>
<BR>
-- <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>cfiner@newfound.k12.nh.us</U></FONT> --<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2">&quot;The school nutures both teamwork and thorny individual=
ism, at once the readiness to serve and the readiness to resist, for nobody =
knows ahead of time which the Good Citizen may have to do.&quot; &nbsp;-- Pa=
ul Gagnon<BR>
</FONT><BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3069220209_388152_MIME_Part--