Hello all,
        While all my good judgement tells me to sit on my hands, I just
can't do it!  What troubles me about this whole thread, enough that I feel I
must type, is what appears to be the willingness of Librarian
*Professionals*  (and I extend this not only to schools but also publics,
and other venues) to accept the misconceptions of our work or at least
accept working within inappropriate confines instead of taking the albiet
harder, path to re-educate and/or demand better, or if necessary not do
something (i.e. not provide.)
        To be specific, it seems that for many when the powers that be
suggest School Librarians work to be considered Teachers b/c thats a higher
status, pay, etc. (even with how little we respect teachers in the US!) -
many, even if they don't want to be "teachers" accept this, as necessary b/c
an administrator dictated it.  We accept the roles of teachers and let the
librarian work slide.  We accept jobs with unacceptible pay and we kill
ourselves to do the work of two or more positions.  I believe this is a more
complicated problem in schools since my impression has become more school
librarians are really happier being reading teachers, and administrations do
not understand libraries, but...
        I recognize there are a lot of battles to fight in library land.
(No, clearly I'm not mousy.  No, you can't eat in my library.  No, I cannot
be open 24-7 for your convinence. No, I do more that put books on sheves
...)  But, I do not believe anything will change if the vast majority simply
allows things to happen.  That is, accept jobs with unacceptible pay. (And
yes, I turned down my dream job because of low salary and told them that.
And yes, it hurt and at that time I didn't have another job, but if I'm
willing to give my services away, what right do I have to ask someone to pay
me?)  I spend a large amount of time explaining to people what I do and what
I don't do and why I am different than other "faculty."
        I don't feel that Librarians use what little power we do have.  We
don't tend to speak up and we don't tend to say no.  I think this is a
disservice to the profession.  I also think that people get what they expect
and as long as Librarians expect low pay and bad deals, we accept them and
so it continues.

Su
Su Epstein, Ph.D.
Director of Library Services