Tom-
ves should reflect balance and "opposing viewpoints."  There were not any=
 books reflecting the creationist viewpoint on our shelves when I came he=
r five years ago (except, of course, the Bible), while we had quite a few=
 from an evolutionist viewpoint.  I was careful before I acquired any, be=
cause I wanted to be sure that my personal beliefs (I do believe in a cre=
ationist viewpoint) were not dictating my purchases. I found justificatio=
n in the fact that one of our teachers holds a mock "Scopes Trial" every =
year and his students must research both sides of the isssue.  Even witho=
ut that course, though, I do believe that there should be balance.  The e=
volution/creation debate is controversial, and because of the controversi=
al nature, I think it is essential that we provide students with two side=
s of the issue.

If you do decide to purchase any creationist materials, Philip Johnson ha=
s written two books which I feel provide fairly easily accessible scienti=
fic background for my students.
The titles are:
Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds
Darwin on Trial

Good luck with your decision.  I respect your being open-minded enough to=
 consider adding books on creationism to your collection!

Tish Carpinelli
Lower Cape May Regional H.S.
Cape May, NJ
carpinelli@lcmr.capemayschools.com

Tom Ross wrote:

> I was wondering if we could bat a censorship issue around a little. I j=
ust read a long series of school board meeting minutes from a school dist=
rict in Minnesota that chose to remove some anti-Darwinism books from the=
ir libraries. I have been asked by some students to order some books from=
 the same creationist viewpoint. This is my question. If I am anti-censor=
ship but refuse to buy books from the creationist view point am I acting =
like a hypocrite. (a student did suggest this) I cited a lack scientific =
support for this students viewpoint. She countered with the idea that her=
 book, while citing religious information also would cite a little scient=
ific information. I am trying to keep my opinion out of the who situation=
, but after I read Rosemount School Districts board minutes I am confused=
 about where to go with this. I think my Superintendent would take a nega=
tive viewpoint about including creationist information in the Media Cente=
r, but he has a long running battle with these
> people because a lot of them h
> I don't want to alienate the student, and I think se feels that the sch=
ool is being unsupportive if we don't include her viewpoint. I do have a =
Native American and Hindu versions of creation. But they are not the vers=
ion these students want. I also have two science teachers that encourage =
the students to get information on any viewpoint they can. I kind of feel=
 like I am "between a rock and a hard place."

> Honestly, if I just I am not an expert in this field, but I am leaning =
towards putting a variety of viewpoints out, including theirs and letting=
 the students decide for themselves. Is there a reason why I wouldn't wan=
t to do that? Share with me your wisdom