Hello Tom,

See below for responses to your questions. (For what it is worth, I am not a
"creationist" in the extreme sense, but I do think the Big Bang Theory is just
another way of saying the universe was created.)

Regards,
Robert

Robert Hiebert
Librarian, Golden Secondary School
www.sd6.bc.ca/gss/library/
Fax: 250 344 7116
rhiebert@sd6.bc.ca

|--------+------------------------>
|        |          Tom Ross      |
|        |          <tross@AITKIN.|
|        |          K12.MN.US>    |
|        |                        |
|        |          04/30/2001    |
|        |          10:32 AM      |
|        |          Please respond|
|        |          to Tom Ross   |
|        |                        |
|--------+------------------------>
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU                  |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Robert Hiebert/SD6)                |
  |       Subject:     Censorship question, I need wisdom. |
  >--------------------------------------------------------|

I was wondering if we could bat a censorship issue around a little. I just read
a long series of school board meeting minutes from a school district in
Minnesota that chose to remove some anti-Darwinism books from their libraries. I
have been asked by some students to order some books from the same creationist
viewpoint. This is my question. If I am anti-censorship but refuse to buy books
from the creationist view point am I acting like a hypocrite. (a student did
suggest this)

***********
Yes. On the other hand we have limited budgets and we "censor" all the time (if
you want to call it that) by establishing purchasing priorities. If you don't
buy the books, is there a public library where they can be had? (Also, there are
many websites about this. Two very intelligent ones are:

http://www.origins.org/menus/pjohnson.html
http://www.origins.org/menus/hross.html
***********

I cited a lack scientific support for this students viewpoint.

***********
Oops! Have any books on astrology in your library? Wicca and witchcraft? I don't
think it is a librarian's job to assess the quality of evidence supporting
people's beliefs. We are here to serve our clientele whether we agree with them
or not. (On the other hand, I don't buy books about the techniques of torturing,
even though a student occasionally makes such a request. (Playboy would be very
popular too! I have my own form of hypocrisy.)
***********

 She countered with the idea that her book, while citing religious information
also would cite a little scientific information. I am trying to keep my opinion
out of the who situation, but after I read Rosemount School Districts board
minutes I am confused about where to go with this. I think my Superintendent
would take a negative viewpoint about including creationist information in the
Media Center, but he has a long running battle with these people because a lot
of them home school.

I don't want to alienate the student, and I think se feels that the school is
being unsupportive if we don't include her viewpoint. I do have a Native
American and Hindu versions of creation. But they are not the version these
students want. I also have two science teachers that encourage the students to
get information on any viewpoint they can.

***********
For me, this is a clincher. If teachers expect students to be able to find
information, we should do our best to make it available.
***********

 I kind of feel like I am "between a rock and a hard place."

Honestly, if I just I am not an expert in this field, but I am leaning towards
putting a variety of viewpoints out, including theirs and letting the students
decide for themselves. Is there a reason why I wouldn't want to do that?

***********
I can't think of any! If creationism is false, then let it collapse as each
student wrestles with it and sees its errors. If Darwinism is false, let it
suffer the same fate. In the end, we, as human beings, want to know for
ourselves what is true and what is not. Closing inquiry will not further this
goal, rather it gives the impression that the powerful side has something to
hide.
***********

Share with me your wisdom

**********
I hope there is a modicum of wisdom!
**********

Tom

Tom Ross
Director of Library/Media
Aitkin Public Schools
306 2nd St. NW
Aitkin, MN  56431
218-927-2115 ext. 207
tross@aitkin.k12.mn.us

Fax Wave 209-882-5565

"Another day, another reason to be thankful."   :-)