Dear Laurel
I try to anticipate the questions the kids will ask by doing a book
orientation before I read the story.  We look carefully at the cover and the
pictures and predict what it will be about and really get our minds focusing
on the setting and the characters and so forth.  Sometimes, while I am
reading, I will point to the picture to match an uncommon word, substitute a
simpler word or stop to explain a term (very briefly). I also  draw the kids
in by asking them what they think will happen or what they would do,

With this sort of intro, generally, they tend not to ask unless there is
something they don't understand and you can bet if one needs to ask, then
others are also wanting to know.

This sort of orientation also helps them 'read' the book for themselves when
I have finished and share it with their friends.  Just eavesdrop and listen
to them mimic you!

Selection of the story is the critical element though and the support that
the pictures give to the text, the expression you put into the words and the
animation you put into your reading are all key factors. Above all, the
enjoyment you get from reading to them should shine thru - they will be so
entranced they won't want to interject!

Kia ora
Barbara

Barbara Braxton