>I am new and the hardest thing I'm finding is selecting good books to read
>aloud.

Dear Sherri
I would love to be able to help but being in Australia makes it tricky
because what we have may not be available in the US.

However, when you are choosing picture books consider these points:
1. Will the subject appeal to the intended audience?
2. Is the language appropriate for the audience?
3. Do the illustrations support the text so they help the understanding of
the words?
4. Are they large and colourful so even Mr Fidget at the back can see them?
5. Does the text support the reader and their development of reading
habits - left to right, top to bottom?
6. Does it use text effects that suggest movement or emotion that the
children can respond to?
7. Does it have a repetitive phrase or pattern that the children can join in
with?
8. Is it a good story?
9. Does it fit in with what is happening in the class, or can it be used as
a springboard for an activity?
10. Can you hear yourself reading the story aloud and enjoying doing so?

To read a story effectively takes time and practice and it is not silly to
perfect your technique in the privacy of your room in front of a mirror.
Get used to reading out of the side of your eyes :>} so you can hold the
book up so the children can see the pictures and you can read at the same
time.  And become a performer. Children love being read to if you make the
story come alive.  A fabulous book with all sorts of theory, tips and plain
common sense is a new release by Mem Fox called Reading Magic. It is
designed to encourage parents to read to their children from birth, but
there is much in it for the professional as well.  And very easy reading.

When it comes to about Yr 3 kids, you can start reading chapter books, but
it does depend on how frequently you see them.  It is hard for a child to
carry a story over from week to week, especially if they have lots of
stories in between times,  although it can be done.  With this age, I like
thinner books with short sharp chapters, lots of conversation and action.
My favourite is The 27th Annual African Hippopotamus Race by Morris Lurie
(an Australian author) and by about Yr 4 I always try to fit The BFG (Roald
Dahl) in. Humour always works.

But no matter what you select, the key is your enjoyment of the story ... if
it bores you, it will bore the kids. So ensure you read the first few
chapters first ...if you are not hooked, they won't be either.

Our school counsellor made a really interesting point in a recent
conversation - she said that, in the past, when children said their prayers
or parents read to them just before bedtime, it was a child's way of
unwinding and handing all their troubles over to someone else so they could
sleep in peace and security. But so much of that is lost in the
hussle-bussle of family life now that kids do not hit the pillow relaxed and
calm. So I believe, we have a responsibility to encourage the regeneration
of this practice, and even if parents are too busy, then persuade older
siblings to do it.  It is more than just a bonding session.

Hope this gives you some pointers - no doubt others can add a lot more,
which is why I have cc'ed this to the list.

Kia ora
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian