We have had several requests from library staff at our schools wanting ideas, grant
information, etc. about how to get more staff hours for their libraries, especially
now with the additional funding from the state that has allowed them to improve
their collections.

As one person emailed her administrator, "Wouldn't it be worthwhile if the library
could be open during after-school hours and in the summer as the following article
suggests?  (Reference to 'Summer School Escape: Pick up a Book' by Stephen Krashen,
USA Today, July 26, 2001.)  With the generous State funding we have received in the
past few years to update our collection and computerize the library, it would be
beneficial to make these new resources more available to students."

I talked to my Assistant Superintendent about the possibility of including a
library component in future grant proposals from our county office.  He throught it
would be a very good fit for proposals dealing with after school and summer session
programs.  If we work together in a collaborative manner, with a grant proposal
that would benefit students county-wide, the chances of receiving funds improve.

We need your help.  What specific children's activities or programs can you
envision that would involve the library?  We need concrete ideas to include in
grant proposals - as creative as you wish.

One example of a natural fit for extended hours is coordinating with the homework
and recreational components of SERFF, our existing after-school program (a
cooperative program in several districts in our county).  Students can use books
for their reading homework and for report-writing homework.  Reading for pleasure
can be part of the recreational component.  What other ideas do you have?

We also would want to consider how open hours could be available to non-SERFF (or
other grant projects) students as well.

I have sent this request to all the library staff in our county, to my Assistant
Superintendent, and now to all of you.  TIA for your input.  I know your comments
will be very helpful.  You are a great group.  I promise to post a hit very soon.

Judy

--
Judy Turner, Director of Library and Media Services