Here’s my original post:
I enjoyed reading the Hit for the authors visits in CA.  Now can you help me
plan for the next year or so?  Our school is PreK-8 and we split the author
visits for Prek-4 and 5-8... we've had many good ones including last years,
Joe Layden and Bruce Hiscock.... This year I am trying to Line up Peter
Lourie for upper and Simon James for lower.... we've had Jennifer Armstrong,
Karen Beil, Thor Wickstrom, Jim & Joe Brusac, Natalie Kinsey-Warnock....any
authors local to Albany area that are good ones?
-----------------------------
I don't know about local to Albany -- but check these sites out:
http://www.cr.k12.ia.us/harr/author.html (Lists our author visits --
all great.)
then:
http://www.carolgorman.com
http://www.jacquelinebriggsmartin.com
http://www.geocities.com/craigbrown_2000
Daniel Hayes is good and he's from I think Greenwich (The Trouble with
Lemons) I've also meet Stephen Swinburne from Vt who has done some very
interesting books one on wolves comes to mind, but I can't think of the name
and for little kids he's done things like What's Opposite and What's a Pair?
What's a Dozen?  John Gile, I'm not sure where he's from, The First Forest.
Local Bookstores: I've heard Frank Hodge from Hodge Podge  Books  in Albany
speak several times.    He seems to be a font of information regarding authors
in your area.  It's worth a call to him.
There is an excellent author in Farmville, VA. His name is Francis Wood.
This gentleman is an excellent spokesperson and loves to talk with children.
Also, his fees are reasonable. He writes in a style that is able to span the
ages of people. The stories are wonderful and universal. He can be reached
at Tip-of-the-Moon, Route 2, Box 1725, Farmville, VA 23901. His phone number
is 804-392- 5274.
How about Tedd Arnold? He's in the Finger Lake Region, Elmira. If you go
online and search you'll find his site at Geocities. He includes lists of
his books, a great section on how he creates his art, and is a fantastic
presenter. We also had Cynthia DeFelice from the Finger Lakes region. She
does more storytelling with the youngest ones, but does have Casey in the
Bath. She's a wonderful storyteller and writer (many chapter books for the
older students). I would recommend them both, of course I believe Tedd would
be more age appropriate for your group. Check them both out online, they
also belong to the same writers' group so know each other.

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions!
Maureen Mooney, LMS
St. Gregory's School
Loudonville, NY